13

On his first objective, Marcellus was embarrassed more than three times in a direct sequence. He tripped over three times, his hand fell into his knife, mistaken a shadow for an intruder, and accidently cutting Loaf's cheek while practicing on the scavenger hunt. The men looked down on him in embarrassment. He could sense the degradation with the distances between them. A lousy Persian boy incapable of performing the Euritic's duties; an expected behavior from a man absent of the pure African kingdom's blood.

He grimaced. Their ignorance will end.

Marcellus felt the disappointed boy inside his bones quiver to the surface. Little do the warriors know, he was as true as them.

Kumi held Marcellus' shoulder, warmly. "Marcellus."

He instantly straightened his dragging spear, while lifting his face in surprise. Kumi was the front man to control the group and lead all operations their Queen ordered. Also, Kumi was his official Louto; mentor for the duration of his training. Marcellus started cheesing like a child caressing an adorable animal that licked his skin the first time Queen announced it. To shadow Kumi, the supreme combatant of Euritic, was the honor of all honors. Kumi's first kill was a lion that hooked its teeth on an eight-year old's leg. With his large bare hands, he jumped seven feet in the air onto the lion's back and stabbed its throat with a sharp tree bark.

He was nine years old.

The embarrassment couldn't stretch further. The Louto's apprentice failed to demonstrate the training given by a true warrior of Euritic. He not only shamed himself, but shamed the legendary fighter.

Marcellus sighed silently. He was aware Kumi's transport from the front to the back of the line was to dismiss him from under his mentorship.

"Louto," Marcellus stuck his spear in the sand, then bowed respectfully for his leader.

"Stand." He commanded.

Hesitantly, Marcellus stood on two feet. "Yes, Louto Kumi."

"You are standing upwards, yet still you slouch,"

"Oh." He pushed his chest out more to impress. "Will not happen again."

Kumi frowned. "You were not in your own body today, Marcellus."

Refusing to bite his lips in anxious, he murmured. "Yes, Louto. I agree."

"Why?"

He sighed. "I do not know reason. I can just assume that my confidence overruled my state of mind."

"Not confidence." His mentor corrected. "Your desire to impress was your failure."

Failure. "I understand, Louto."

"The Queen's life shall not depend on a boy who wants attention from his teacher. She will perish."

Marcellus found himself horrified by the statement. Ironically, he was sent to assure the Queen suffers. "I do not wish that at all."

"Then, let the boy die, Marcellus." Kumi said finally. "Your failure to complete a simple task is a reflection of what you are capable of doing in the future. Our Queen will see that, though she sees more in you."

"Her efforts to promote me is an honor." Marcellus admitted, feeling guilty.

"Honor her with your actions."

"Yes, Louto." He looked down.

The true warrior noticed the downfall on Marcellus' face. "Do well on the next order."