43

Never...not once will Queen forget that day.

Queen was trapped outside of Euritic with the warriors, whom she did not trust until the round light elevated high in the sky.

She remembered standing outside the leaf camouflaged entrance. The customary appearance, following after the entry, was an array of light that blinded one for a brief instant. When the moment fleeted, there was an awe-inspiring ornamentation of golden statues, homes and roads to illuminate the land with the golden yellow to dark brown variations of skin tone. The beauty sang of happiness with a harmonious chorus.

For the first time in years, Queen's glowing kingdom was tainted by unwanted shadows of burning dusts and grey crusted decay. She remembered her feet sinking into the grey dust, a sorrowful integration of burned nonliving materials and dead flesh; coated over the wind to cast over their golden roads.

She remembered her pace was slow and deliberate. She felt the weight of the dead as if its spirits clung to her ankles and implored for Queen's help, because the pain of the fire cursed them in the afterlife. She hallucinated their ghostly cries and tried to empathize their agony to punish herself with the same pain. But, as she walked closer to Quake sector, she didn't have to imagine the misery.

Quake sector was destroyed. What was once elevations of tall glistening buildings and gardens was currently melted gold residences, sprayed over with blackened remnants and surrounded by sailing grey grimes. Little pieces of deterioration glided through the sky, yet not falling from it; as a result from the chaotic movements of crying people and windy air.

The titan, Quake, whose statue stood as tall as the mountains over the city was untouched on top. Contrary, her golden legs were colored over with a dark, screeching color as if the traitors were making a point that they were aiming to burn the foundation.

That's how she felt. Her legs, responsible for her standing, was being pulled and removed.

She tried to run away from the thought. She was the Queen. How can she fall when she had her kingdom to keep her upright?

This was how.

She was reminded when the victims were carried out of Quake and their skins were burnt off to reveal the underlying red flesh. Women, children and men were screaming and reaching for Queen. They were crying into each other's arms or mourning over dead bodies in anguish.

The smell, the taste and stuffiness of the air cursed her senses for as long as she stood living and breathing.

How could everything go wrong?

She was only meeting the Greek King for a day and her world had been shaken to pieces.

Someone betrayed her.

Correction...not someone, but many of her people betrayed her.

She didn't know who.

"Queen." Parmlium said for the fourth time, finally taking hold of her attention.

"Yes." Her voice sounded foreign to her natural relaxed tone. Her tone was stiff and empty of emotions.

"There are no news." He said sadly.

Queen flinched.

From yesterday to the morning, Queen was in a havoc. She was helping to: evacuate burn victims out of Quake, locating victims under the broken gravel, rounding up the identified traitors and calming down the fire. She had to evacuate the temples as she had done before with the earlier epidemic. She called for the healers to join the scared place to treat the injured Euritis. She also asked for the city leaders to accept the uninjured Euritis. Except for Pursia; the leader of Quake sector. Unfortunately, she had suffered from the fire.