50

Queen underestimated the accurate meaning of "exhaustion". Ruling a disorganized country for eight years taught Queen the minuscule effects of tiredness. The realization surfaced as Queen's tears ran dry and body limped weakly over the night to the morning. She was debating her body to stay awake as she waited in the corner of Loaf's room, while the healers treated him.

In the beginning, the fight to keep her eyes open was necessary. Loaf's scream echoed throughout the entire palace and made Queen's skin crawl. She wanted to take a breath outside the room to gather her emotions before the healers saw her anxiety come to life. On the other hand, Queen had to watch the healers, carefully. There were too many spies. They could try to kill Loaf.

Queen multitasked in watching Loaf and staying awake for so long.

The healers were finished by the time the sun raised in the sky. They had to come back to do another treatment on the wounds to keep Loaf alive. So far, he was wrapped from head to toe in a brown cloth. His eyes were the only ones exposed and closed.

She preferred Loaf breathing and sleeping than screaming his lungs out as if he was dying.

Queen stood up, unbalanced.

"My Queen?" A caretaker waltzed in.

"Yes, Tolli. Has Loaf's sister arrived?"

Tolli hesitated. "I am afraid it is not her."

"Who would come at a time such as this? The one person with clearance is his sister."

"I am greatly aware." She apologized. "I tried to tell her."

Queen frowned at the pronoun "her". She knew exactly who "her" was.

"Thank you, Lolli. I will be coming out."

She bowed and left the room.

Queen took one last look at Loaf and sent a quick prayer before exiting the room.

There was Gwynne. She was the most beautiful woman in the entire kingdom to Queen, but the level of admiration deceased for her. The last they had spoken Queen banished Gwynne from her presence for disrespecting Loaf. Apparently, the banishment was short lived because Gwynne was standing in front of her now.

It made her wonder.

Maybe Gwynne easily disobeyed Queen because she was a spy as well.

"We need to break the silence." Gwynne wiped her runny nose that complimented her sore, watery eyes.

"Why should I give you the opportunity? You are disobeying my orders." Queen said flatly.

Furiously, Gwynne said. "I kept distance! However, I cannot pretend what you are doing is acceptable!"

The lingering caretakers gasped silently in disbelief.

"Lower your voice." Queen said menacingly. "Or you will not have one."

Gwynne widened her eyes in shock. "In the years we have been as one, not once was I threatened."

"Leave, Gwynne. I am weary of your dramatics. For once, be obedient and follow my orders."

"Damn your orders!"

The caretakers froze.

"You are holding our daughter in prison! I will not permit it! I will not!" Gwynne folded her arms in defiance. "I heard about her betrayal! I doubt she is a supporter for Metrius! She has served you for three years and imprisoning her own people to keep Euritic safe and stable! If she was a traitor, you have to forgive her. She is our daughter. She loves you as we love her. We forgive each other for our mistakes."