16

Queen was no longer sleeping.

Her brilliant, thick hair casted down her shoulders shrunk from the bath she soaked in not too long before. She thought, wrongfully, the bath would offer a replacement aid to the usual resting plant the Cropkeepers developed for her. Yet, no. After, the brown tattooed skin queen climbed into her circular bedding, curled into Gwynne's body and forced her way into her own consciousness.

Queen's dreams weren't memorable. The emptiness was unsatisfying as she wakes up daily and envied the fantasies her servants exchanged after the sun stationed in the sky. The ongoing dreams of riding flying panthers, reuniting with a dead love one, bathing in gold, finding true love or other unbelievable happenings she'll never experience through nightly illusions.

She tried to comprehend her incompetence. King Kirk used to replay stories from his grandmother's chest of tales while she dosed off. His words were translated into images throughout her slumber.

She sighed.

Her father is not alive anymore to help her dream. Nor should he be.

"Your highness?"

Kiki woke up from the sounds of Queen's shuffling on the large, silk bed. The nineteen-year-old Persian girl stretched her arms, bring her chin down on her small chest. She was supposed to be in an organized space, contrived of feather pillows and beautiful clean sheep hair. But the girl was lying at the end of the bed without a blanket for warmth.

Queen frowned. "We are not in the presence of others, Kiki."

The small, innocent grin touched her dark colored lips. "Yes, Mama."

"Have I disturbed you?"

She shook her head. "I could not sleep. I wanted to. I moved to your bed to try. And I still could not rest. If anything, I am content I am not alone."

In concern, Queen prompted. "It's the foreign air, is it not?"

Hesitantly, Kiki nodded. "I miss home. Sometimes I fear I will never get to return."

"Why do you feel such a way?" Her eyebrow furrowed.

"Mmm," Gwynne rolled over, lazily from the noise. Her noise wrinkled.

Queen stared down at her lover in consideration. "Come, Kiki. Let's walk the grounds."

Queen and Kiki walked side by side off of their large ship to the wide sandy shore. Four of her men followed the two women; one warrior ahead, two on their sides and one on their backs. She admired the men's readiness for battle at any cost for their queen. Maybe if her father had loyal servants like the warriors she molded, he would have been alive and mother would've been rightfully executed.

"Where is Kumi, Pombo?" She asked the second in the command of the warrior tribe.

Pombo said softly. "He claimed to take the boy out for more training."

As he should. After earlier events, she wondered if she should trust her most brilliant warrior. He lied about Marcellus' ability to complete her command, effectively. Why ever so fable? He was the most uneducated student of all the potentials, but Queen decided to pay her debts back to Marcellus for the undercover work he's done in the Persian communities within Euritic. She expected the boy's first objective out to have less efficiency as do most first time warriors. Kumi, a reliable source to reference, was aware no other potential other than himself and a few others were able to complete it effortlessly.

She asked again in her head. Why ever so fable?

"Amongst the darkness?" Kiki worried. "Marcellus is not ready for harsher challenges."