63

"Truthfully?" Marcellus said in awe. "She shared the same womb as Queen of Euritic?"

Usually, King Metrius would disapprove of Marcellus' doubt. He would have given such a menacing scowl even the flames would wane at the tips of its blazing wisps.

Contrary to the usual, King Metrius waved Marcellus off and looked at him like an incompetent child, who was not worthy of an explanation. Yet, his pride couldn't stop him from revealing the unbelievable story as it satisfied his ego.

"Those occasions are rare..." He surveyed the bizarre likeness of Queen and the woman revealed as her identical sister.

Oddly, the woman stayed still and obedient to his father's word. She did not make a sound, movement or react brusquely through her facial expressions. She appeared as frozen as a statue and real in skin. Her compliant posture prevented Marcellus from falling into a whirlwind of perplexity and aching madness within his mind as he compared the two women. Because the submission reminded Marcellus the real Queen would do no such thing, so there was nothing, but looks to compare right now.

He repeated those thoughts in his head to keep a steady balance on his feet.

"My father had a brother who shared the womb with him." King Metrius shrugged. "I have yet to hear the complete story of their separation, but the story does exist somewhere. Most likely in Parmlium's head."

"A family trait." Marcellus added to no one in the room. "I wonder if that can occur with me one day."

"I do not see why not." He said honestly. "I would not pray so. Your woman may die from the birth."

"Queen Rene..." Marcellus said vigilantly. "She survived with Queen of Euritic and...her."

"I will tell you the background of my mother's secret." He looked at Marcellus, deadly. "It does not leave this room or it will leave with your life."

"I will not tell." He said quickly. "I swear."

"Swearing is for believers. I am not confident you are one." King Metrius said in disapproval.

This reminded Marcellus of the night Queen of Euritic took him and the Warriors to the Brothers' Kingdoms; Abdu and Abi. Marcellus was following behind Kumi as they "hunted" Metrius throughout the land. Queen of Euritic summoned Marcellus and Kumi for a full report. They both lied as they told her of their successes that did not include Metrius. Queen saw through Marcellus' lies as he used a religious tradition to try and please her. She scolded him for relying on a faith he did not believe in. It seems her brother had the same skill.

"I believe in Euritic and the riches it has to offer. I believe you can bring me back to a place I can call home without having to hide who I am."

"Who are you?" King Metrius raised his eyebrows, waiting for the answer.

He replied honestly, "I will be Marcellus. I am Marcellus. I serve you."

"If I do not pronounce you as my son?"

He choked back his hesitation. "I am more grateful to be allowed sanctuary and a chance to live."

King Metrius stared at Marcellus in conflict as he frequently done. He could tell the runaway king was never too confident on who Marcellus was to him. A servant, indeed. But sometimes there's no denying Marcellus was his son when they were alone and he had no audience to leave an impression on. Maybe one day, he could settle who he want Marcellus to be. At least, Marcellus will know his place, instead of trying to prove his worth constantly.

King Metrius caressed the woman's resplendent cheek as he began the story. "My mother did not want a second pregnancy. She believed I was the sole ruler of Euritic and refused to have another child to compete with for the throne. She was firm in her beliefs. Circumstances have altered suddenly when my father went on a long journey with his servant Parmlium."