57

Alexander was oddly apprehensive.

His fingers jittered against one another like they were making efforts to communicate. His body moved restlessly against any motionless position like it was searching for a comfortable spot in thin air. His commands were steady, resonant and strong as it always sounded, though sometimes his words tripped over each other and frustration overwhelmed his usual manners.

It was no doubt Queen of Euritic was the reason for the shift in his demeanor.

A year ago, Alexander had one dream and one dream only. After he conquered Persia, he wanted to conquer Asia. He wanted to begin with India and its exotic principles, destined to join his reign.

His dream was postponed as his ravenous hunger aimed to antagonize a certain ruler, who decided to hide Persian runaways. The featured ruler was Queen of Euritic.

She was the ruler of a jungle kingdom called Euritic. It was enveloped in trees and mountains as tall as the pharaohs' statues in Egypt. Euritic may appear barbarian-like, but its essence held true to its performance. He voyaged through the monstrous wilderness, evading the predatory hunger of four legged animals and slithering creatures with poison leaking from their fangs. The old ruin buildings signified how life might have been advanced beyond the high wall. But for now, all he remembered on the outside was the reeking smell of feces and degenerate men. Until, he was shamed by the sight of the queen herself.

Alexander was familiar with unbelievably dark skin and odd markings. Egyptians and Persians have similar characteristics that reflect their foreign cultures, which rivaled his ignorance. Yet, it was her stance that surprised him the most. Her devilish black orbs were the piercers of all swords with the magic to invade a man's insecurities and let it spill to the surface. Her remaining facial features were strong and relaxed as if his presence was as minuscule as the dust in the air. For a good time, he incorporated her judgement with himself and felt insecure; no matter how rotten he thought she was. His insecurity turned into a passion of hatred.

He wanted to do nothing, but punish the queen. She was brave enough to take his people and disrespect him endlessly like he was a dirty brown servant. He didn't expect to change his perspective in a matter of weeks. It was the work of a common enemy, who destroyed majority of his camp and left him in shambles and anger.

Their enemy had done something to Queen of Euritic, but she refused to detail the betrayal. Though, he remembered smelling burnt flesh and trees as he was guided into Euritic with a bag over his head. The only good thing that came out of their conflict was a treaty of peace with the queen.

For the past year, they have been hunting the culprit, known as Metrius. His little ally, Cyrus, was as worthless as a broken slave.

Queen of Euritic informed Metrius was a tyrant who sought out his own kingdom to become king. Euritic was one of the countries on his list to tackle and consume with his totalitarian power. When Queen of Euritic first explained, he almost felt insulted with her sharp words, because she assumed he could relate.

Alexander, of course, let it go.

Their tension was unnecessary in their joint powers. If he had to be the one to promote the peace, he will leave the queen at war with her own disgusts. After a while, he and the woman worked restlessly to find the perpetrators through invading their suspected allied countries and killing their officials.

Their kings were left unharmed as the woman insisted. She thought it was smarter to trap the kings in an underground prison till she commanded what needed to be done. Alexander didn't mind. He wanted to kill them for harboring a man who destroyed his army in a devastating loss; who helped burn his men to death. If the queen wanted playmates, what torture was better than living with a broken crown and sitting in their own defecation.