25

The Queen was weary. She was conflicted between two stressors; formulating battle formations and choosing a man to satisfy her appetite for succession.

After she announced the Consort's purpose, she imagined it tasted blissfully sweet upon tongues of the audience because the party atmosphere heightened soon after.

Queen could not find the enjoyment through her complicated thoughts. They attacked the Queen as if the thoughts prepared for an assassination. She tried to hide the disruption, though her second in command noticed immediately.

Parmlium recognized the unsettlement through her sluggish body language, accompanied by a blank face. He suggested Queen visit her pets. Her animals often relaxed her tension.

Without question, she dismissed herself temporarily from the throne room as the others lived in their provisional serenity.

The pleasure was envied. They have more freedom than she. The throne enslaved Queen to a lifetime of servitude. She sworn to protect, organize, shape and lead a country her late father founded.

It was the only justified slavery.

"Loaf?"

The man was against the wall in the middle of the hallway, fidgeting with blue paper in his large hands.

She was against approaching the large warrior.

It was not something she normally does.

The conversations between her and her warriors were professional and evidently, short. They were straight to the point and the topic of war coated the dialogue. But...Loaf was a comfortable presence. Out of all the people who attended this party, he was not included in the ones she did not wish to converse with. Which was all except Kiki.

Also, Loaf looked at peace through the bothersome festivity. His legs stretched forward, crossing at the ankles. His heart shaped pink lips pursed in a gentle twist.

Loaf was dressed in his normal, unconventional clothes. His tunic was in a different color and style. The blood red shading was rich against his vibrant brown skin tone. The dress stopped mid-thigh and had slits around the hems. A pad of fabric flapped in between his legs as the high of his thighs were exposed.

Queen hesitated.

The animal sanctuary was on the opposite side of the hallway, which unpredictably became the least of Queen's attention.

Her first judgment diminished. The distance decreased inch by inch as Queen advanced her warrior.

She cleared her throat, faintly tense.

His head snapped up quickly and body leaped into a crouching stance.

"Your majesty!" Loaf modified the defensive stance into a kneeling bow. "Apologies. I did not mean to offend thee."

"Arise. You did not offend me." Queen titled her head, curiously. "Why are you not enjoying the merriments?"

"I am..." he rubbed his left arm nervously. "I like to indulge in other preferred activities, your majesty."

Queen lifted one arched brow. "You prefer sitting on the ground and playing with paper?"

"Paper, your majesty?" he murmured. "Oh, my winsorr."

"What is your winsorr?"

Loaf paused, uncomfortably. "My winsorr is my family's artwork I learned to do in childhood."

Queen was interested. Mother used to teach her how to make clothing in efforts to distract her from manly duties like the ruling the kingdom. Queen could now say she was talented in forming clothes but the reason behind the teaching was poisonous.

She wondered about this tool. Obviously, the object was special.

Yet, the winsorr was hidden behind his back.

"I would like to know more." Queen said honestly. "But I see it is private."

"It is, your majesty." He leveled his unique umber gems to hers.

She nodded. "Then you shall save yours words. I'm not going to force you to tell me."

"You are kind, my Queen." Loaf appreciated, bowing his head slightly.

"I try to be." Queen figured the conversation was ending into an obstinate silence, in which one of them avert and caste themselves to another direction. It should be her. He's not going to leave until she dismissed him. He's possibly anticipating it. She clearly interrupted his time alone from the madness; a relation they have in these regards. But, Queen was a stranger to her usual decisions tonight. "Did you move in successfully?"

His eyelids lowered, peering down at Queen. He was an amazon. "I did, your majesty. The Caretakers were gracious."

"Good," The Commander had a choice to live in the palace with the Queen to increase protection.

"It is an honor to meet those who served  King Kirk."

Queen's eyebrows relaxed as a smile gently molded. "They are lovely beings. I am thankful for them."

Loaf's eyes lit. "I especially think that of Danai."

Danai was her nurse. Her father's favorite caretaker. She was family. "You have not experienced the full range of Danai's marvel. She is the mother of all mothers."

A sudden sadness caressed his expression.

"Have I upset you?" she said in concern.

"Your highness, you are incapable of it." Loaf gave a small smile.

Almost shyly, Queen looked away.

Randomly, he asked. "Will I be removed after Kumi returns?"

"Kumi lives in his own home in sector Tin with his family." Queen confirmed. "You do not have to worry about leaving unless you insist."

"Including after he reassumes his status as Commander?" he asked.

"There are plenty empty rooms in the palace." Queen avoided the question. "But those decisions are for later times."

Loaf was an exceptional Commander. They've spent each day together for the imminent feud. She gathered his skill and proficiency as a leader. She didn't want to think about Kumi returning because if Loaf continues to succeed, Queen will have to modify another position for them both to share.

"Yes, your majesty." 

The conversation was attempting to conclude again.  "Have you toured the palace?"

"Not to the full extent, your majesty." He shook his head. His mane was curled from the corn rows and flowed to his tail bone like a gorgeous stallion. "However, what I have seen thus far, is magnificent. I have always wanted to be here as a boy."

"Now, it is half fulfilled."

"Almost." Loaf blew out a relieving minty breath. "The structure of your home is intricate. Did King Kirk build this, your majesty?"

"He restored the building." Queen revealed, thoughtfully. "My father told me the building was four walls and one floor with a roof incredibly high. The worship temples reflected the similar emptiness. Finally, with help, he created levels, tunnels, rooms and halls."

"King Kirk is the reason we are all here today." Loaf said genuinely and stared off. Something absent followed his words. "He was a remarkable king."

Queen admired his love for her late father.

"Would you like to join me to see another one of my father's creations?"

"Your majesty?" he said in surprise.

She held up her hand. "It is a place I often go to. You would see it eventually since your duty is by my side,"

He held her eyes. "I would like to join you, your majesty,"

Queen turned from him before her cheeks exposed her. "Follow me."