56

Queen and Loaf were in their chamber. Not the one in Euritic. The queen was lying on a pile of soft cloths at the cusp of Persia. They have been riding for days to reach Babylon and finally, talk to Alexander about their current and upcoming victories. She was expected to attend his wedding for his second wife.

Queen wanted no parts of it. She brought her army to combine with his for the final battle with the two imposter kings.

Technically, one was an imposter.

Her brother.

Cyrus was cousin to the past King Darius, whom Alexander stole the crown from. Cyrus was the true king of Persia and gained many followers over the past year due to his righteous claim. She can imagine Alexander always feeling at odds with himself. He was essentially a thief fighting for rights over a property he took. How sardonic, but so fitting for a man as insecure as Alexander.

A moan disrupted her thought process.

The sweet sound originated behind the plumped lips of Loaf. He was sleeping beside her with his unscarred side pressed firmly against her body and head turned in the opposite direction of her gaze.

She was aware of her previous feelings on the matter. She did refuse to have Loaf on the trip to Persia, but their prior intimate event gave her hope he was connecting with her again. Evidently, he had done it to reattach Queen's doubts to solid trust. Perhaps, there was more. She could find out on their current adventures. Was Loaf worthy to be her consort? Will he change his mind and accept his position as Right Hand and father to her child? Or will she find out love was lost? Will she need another to impregnate her? Was he loyal?

She grimaced.

Loyalty.

What a thing.

What a divine and destructive force of human nature.

Destructive enough to abolish an entire city and Queen's entire heart.

Speaking of, Queen placed the note from Pursia to the side.

Yesterday, Pursia sent a letter to Queen about the "astounding" event occurred in Euritic. Apparently, Sam and the scarce ship members returned. They pounded on the walls of Euritic, pleading for the queen's sanctuary as they cried out of grief. Young children, at a lost, forced to eat the flesh of their mothers and fathers. Parents, as well, forced to devour the dead and curse Metrius for his deceit. Stripping them of their food was necessary for Queen. She didn't want to starve the leftover Persians to the point they couldn't control the ship. She had to find a way to tear down their souls, while filling their stomachs. As she imagined, Sam had to treat their wounds and taught the despaired traitors to turn their hatred to Metrius. Their king stole their precious ones and their salvation was Queen of Euritic. But the salvation can only be given if they prove their loyalties to the crown and pledge to aid in the war on her behalf. They'll talk to Pursia, of course. Pursia will announce how the traitors' presences are too unworthy to grace the Queen's space. Nonetheless, Queen wrote a letter to assure the escaped traitors were treated well. She commanded Pursia to make a speech of what happened and let Sam interrupt her oral broadcast in an emotional breakdown. Yes, Queen will tell Pursia to allow him.

Let the people see the walking corpses of Metrius' tyranny.

Let loyalty soar.

Let it shift.

Queen read Pursia's news out loud to Loaf. He was torn amongst empathy and caring less. She hated peering upon his pouted face, wondering what would he do if he found out she was the cause. Still, Queen did not present the letter to truly inform Loaf of the country's update. She spoke of the situation loud and clear for the warriors to hear outside. She wanted the news to spread as fast as fire upon the peace of leaves. Cause demolition. Tear any doubts to serve Metrius. Strengthen any love needed to serve Queen of Euritic.