54

Two days later, Queen of Euritic returned. The people in the palace didn't know she left, thus the sounds of surprisal were evident through the halls. However, the art of flouting was in her mastery. She greeted her most trusted people like it was any other day.

Queen of Euritic expected Sam and the spared to return in a few days. It would be difficult to control a ship with barely any crew members.

Queen of Euritic met Danai in the hallway as the other Caretakers were dismissed for privacy.

Danai was the one person who knew. She was her nurse for years. She was the mother she always wanted. She was her most loyal Caretaker. One she trusted.

For now.

"Hello, Danai."

"It is late. I thought there would have been a morning arrival." Danai bowed and kissed Queen's hand.

"The people would have noticed my arrival undoubtedly if I had." Queen said. "How was everyone?'

"The palace Caretakers have been working effortlessly to please you."

"Reward them." Queen said simply. "What of the kingdom?"

Danai grinned. "There is word of their contentment. The sectors are praising you for what has been done. The Blood Retribution dismissal was brilliant. They feel at ease since Metrius' people departed."

"Not all. But soon they will not be his."

"As deserved." She bowed again.

Queen was about to send a farewell. "Danai?"

"Yes, my queen."

"Did he attend?"

"Loaf was with the palace's healer. The healer has possibly conjured a new ointment for the scars." Danai smoothed her skirt over her thighs. "I believe his sister and nephew were with him."

"How convenient of Loaf to try the treatment during the last Blood Retribution day. He would have enjoyed it." Queen sat on a random stool as she swung her leg over the other. Her clothing was like none other. The reds, blues and purples were outliers to Queen's taste ever since Quake had fallen. She wore black most days. No one but the palace residents saw her. Danai, specifically, designed her black suit, which tightened over her arms, torso and legs. The one piece was straddled with a black hood that wrapped around her neck to pull over her head whenever she wished.

She had more room to roam in. The troubles of a dress appeared fatal now that she had this extraordinary suit.

Though her clothes were black, nothing can compare to the depths of those black eyes and tattoos. Queen of Euritic had gone as far as to mark her face. She had her symbols stretched from her neck to the sides of her face and joint at the claw mark on her forehead.

Queen continued. "He was the one who believed shedding Euritis' blood was as painful as the day we lost against Metrius."

In his perspective, anyhow.

"May I be frank?"

"I would expect no less." She looked at Danai intensely from under her hood.

"Why have you set them free? Gwynne, Rek, Vokkin...they are traitors. To have Rek personally guard you frightens me. I do not care much for Gwynne, but she does not deserve to serve as my direct assistant. Then, to have Vokkin as your advisor, I-" Danai hugged her arms. "They should have been exiled with the rest."

Queen looked at the older woman, thoughtfully. "Franc, Su and Opa were your friends, correct?"

The ones who were exiled and killed.