a man // Stanley

Age: thirteen

Y/N - Your name
N/N - Nickname

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moment of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy — MARTIN LUTHER KING JR

Y/N'S POV
You got ready for Stan's Bar Mitzvah, deciding to try and dress up a little instead of rocking up to the temple in your usual holy jeans and washed-out oversized band t-shirt. You knew that this was important to Stan and didn't want to embarrass him. It had been awkward between you two for the past week, Stan had kissed you out of the blue and before you got to talk to him, he ran. You wanted to tell him how you felt, but knew that he was avoiding you.

Nevertheless, he had invited you months before and you wanted to look out for your friend. You pull on your usual black Doc Martins, which you had polished and shined for the occasion. You check the time and grab your present, placing it in the basket of your bike before riding to the temple. You enter, grabbing your present from the front of your bike and heading inside. You took a seat beside Richie and Eddie, who were surprised to see you.

"I thought you wouldn't show up after what happened." Richie murmurs, referring to the kiss that had happened a little over a week ago.

"Of course I would come to this. This is important to Stan, besides I need to talk to him. He won't answer my calls and avoids me every time he sees me." You murmur back just as the ceremony begins. You watch Stan with pride as he reads from the Torah. After he's finished, everyone claps and walks up to congratulate him.

"N/N, wait outside. Richie and I will guide him out of the temple." You move out of the temple and stand beside your bike, which is parked a few metres away from the temple entrance. Twenty minutes later, Stan walks out with Richie and Eddie. As soon as Stan spots you, the two boys suddenly vanish from sight and he walks towards you without hesitation.

"Great reading up there, Stanley." You compliment the boy, now man, softly. He smiles genuinely.

"Thank you." He goes to say something else, but you interrupt him.

"I wanted to give you this." You hand him his present and he opens it, a nostalgic smile growing on his face. It was a Polaroid you had framed of the two of you when you went birdwatching around a month ago. "Look, about what happened-" Stan cuts you off this time.

"After that reading, I supposedly became a man and a man is meant to be held accountable for his actions. I was a coward for running and I'm sorry, I should've just talked to you." Stan's eyes never leave yours for a second. "I don't know if you like me or not, but I know I should've just talked to you. I just didn't want to ruin our friendship after the stunt I pulled." You giggle quietly, walking forward so you're closer to him. You're only inches apart when you press your lips to Stan's softly. You rest your hands on his shoulders as Stan's hands find their way to your hips. You soon pull away from the innocent show of emotions.

"Yeah, you're right. You should've talked to me." Stan groans, face palming as you laugh really loudly, not moving from your position. Stan clears his throat, interrupting your laughing session, his gaze never leaving yours.

"Y/N, will you be my girlfriend?" You smile, pecking his lips quickly.

"I thought you'd never ask, bird boy."

BONUS

"It's actually bird man now." You scoff as you playfully whack his shoulder.

"GET IT, STAN THE MAN!"

"FOR FUCKS SAKE, RICHIE!"

WORD COUNT: 652 words