Chapter 18

Jack's P.O.V

At the sound of that voice, I snap my head around to see coach Zaria and a very familiar middle-aged-looking man exiting the school building with big smiles on their faces. One by one, we gathered around them, ignoring all of the ash, pieces of debris and randomly placed fires as they began explaining what really happened.

"You see, this was a test to see how well you all do in surprise situations like this one," the coach said, "I was actually controlling when and where the training robots will appear."

Some of us, including me, gasped in either shock, surprise, or both, but I should have known. That was one of the most cliché plot twists in the history of plot twists. The very thought makes me think I'm living my life in a book or something.

But before I can ponder any further, the man right beside her had straightened his posture and started his statement with a gesture to himself with his hand.

"And I was the one who designed the machines," he said, "Good morning everyone, I am Mr. Fischbach, head engineer of Elementa Lab Inc."

Oh. That's right.

"Pfft, how could you forget what your best friend's father looks like?" Anti said, barely containing his laughter

"Hey! I haven't seen him in a long time!"

"Yeah, like you haven't seen him before you and Mark came to this university."

I ignored him and continued to listen to what Mr. Fischbach had to say. Apparently, he was the one who designed the greater bots and said that their intensity levels were at their highest, making their power close to rivaling one of a Telate Alementor!

"Sure, there are kinks, quirks, and hiccups, but they're far-flung between!" he beamed, "So, not only did you defeat the strongest models we ever made but look at all of you, in your first year here in this university!"

He drew his head back and laughed heartily, "We've got really prodigies here!"

"Indeed we have," Coach Zaria agreed, "But of course, let's give a round of applause to Jack, the temporary teacher for most of the class time!"

Loud cheers and claps erupted in the arena, startling me a bit. Yet, I took it like a laid-back person would (and by "laid-back", I mean shrinking into myself and returning the praises with an awkward smile, y'know, like most people would).

"Alright, your reward is free time!"

Another cheer.

"But you have to clean up first."

A chorus of groans emitted in the area, yet nothing was further said when she sent a questioning look at us, prompting us to get started so we can end faster.

~~~

"And there was this huge fiery dragon!" I narrated, making an exaggerated wide arm open for effect, "It's enormous and it melted all of the greater bots to bits!"

I was currently sharing what happened in the open area to my friends as we took our lunch, well, all that I saw that happened in the open area.

"Yeah, the pair that did that was really skilled," Thomas agreed, "Moving together in sync, it was pretty awesome to look at."

"You know what else was awesome? You changing your eye colors! That was cool!" I gushed

A moment passed and with that was an expression I used quite a lot during my high school and elementary years; an expression that I almost didn't catch as it rippled through Thomas's features; fear.