2| check up

(At the Abernathy house)

Shards of glasses were everywhere.

I cower in the corner as my father- Tom Abernathy- throws our house furniture around to satisfy his anger. My mom- Teresa- sat on the couch just polishing her toe nail.

“I lost 45k, Risa!” Dad throws his hand into the air, expressing himself.

“I don't know what is wrong. You can always borrow money from the Hemsworth.” Mom said casually, closing up her polish kit while giving dad a look.

“Dad, whatever it is… you can always ask for my help. I'm willing to help you as your daughter,” I utter genuinely, stepping closer to him.

He looks at me, stressed.

“Maria, go call your siblings for dinner.” Mom tells me.

I nod before excusing myself to go call my siblings.

“Elaina, Duke.” I call my siblings who were having a pillow fight. “Come down for dinner.”

“Ooh, what are we having?” Duke said happily as he followed me down the stairs.

He and Elaina are fraternal twins. They both have dirty blonde hair and blue eyes.

As for me, I have blonde hair and brighter blue eyes. I'm adopted into their family before they were born. I'm only two years older than they are.

“Boiled eggs, pasta, pumpkin bowl with pork chops, crispy shrimps.” I list as we head to the dining room.

I sit down at the table and we, my family and I, start eating dinner.

(At the Hemsworth Estate)

“Hello, mother and father. Hey, Claire.” Alyssa greets the people at the table before kissing my cheek quickly,“Hi, love.”

I smile at her as she sits down beside me wearing a beautiful dress that I bought her for Christmas.

“How is my beautiful daughter in law doing?” Dad asked Alyssa who smiles brightly.

“Great!” She gives him a thumbs up.

Everyone in this household loves my wife. I'm happy for that.

***

“This dress looks so cute on you,” Claire comments when she and Alyssa were watching movie in the living room.

“I know right! Wait, I'll go get the popcorn.” Alyssa says, standing up.

She freezes and sways a bit before I catch her to keep her from falling.

“Lys, are you okay?” Claire asked worriedly, coming to her side.

“Today, I've been feeling sick.” Alyssa states, looking sick up close.

My mood seems to heighten, thinking about what this could mean.

O my god.

Is she…

“I started my period this morning,” Alyssa mumbles quietly before looking at me sadly. I know she feels bad.

“I'm sorry, Bryce. I'm sorry-” She starts to apologize but I pull her into a hug, trying to comfort her.

“Its okay, its okay. If you can conceive or not, I still love you.” But I know my words can't make her feel any better.

“Come on, I have some period pain killers.”  Claire said, dragging my wife to her room while I stay in my spot.

Mom happens to pass by and looks at me confused. “What's wrong with Lys?”

“She's feeling sick.” I say.

Before mom could say anything, I added. “Period sickness.”

Mom sighs. “I'll take her to the hospital. I'll have Dr. Lilith take a look at her.”

“Take care of her mom.” I say and she grins. “I will, son.”

( iCare Hospital)

- Maria -

iCare Hospital is one of the best hospitals. The owner is a beautiful young woman named Lilith Ray, a cuban-chinese heiress. She's also the best doctor in her own hospital- a neurosurgeon.

“So you want to intern here at my hospital. Am I right?” Dr. Lilith asked me.

Chocolate brown eyes and curly brown hair. She's very beautiful and kind.

“Yes.”

“What's your name?” She asked politely.

“Maria Abernathy.” I answer.

“Abernathy… At my brother's bodyguard agency, I believe there's a boy named Duke Abernathy. Is he your brother?” She asked curiously, stirring her vegetable smoothie.

“Yes,” I answer smoothly.

What?!

Duke can not become a bodyguard. That job is too dangerous. I need to see him.

“iCare hospital is very important to me. So please intern well.” She says, standing up while I grin.

“Thank you, Doctor.” I thank her before she excuses herself to meet a elegant woman and a beautiful familiar girl beside her.

She turns to me and recognition shows on her face.

“Maria?” She said, walking over to me.

“O my god, Alyssa?! Hey, girl.” I utter happily, pulling her in for a hug.

She pulls back. She looks even more beautiful than the last time I saw her which was back in high school. She was my tutor in Pre-calculus.

“How is modeling going?” I ask her curiously.

“Modeling is on hold for now, but I'm working as a flight attendant now. You?” She answered.

“I'm going to intern here.” I answer.

“Well, what brings you here?” I add.

She smiles a bit. “I am here for a checkup.”

“Oh, you look okay to me.” I tell her and she sighs.

“I can't conceive.”

Comment & vote