28 | Gone But Never Forgotten

CLAIRE

             IT WAS 1AM when I sat up in my bed, wanting to drink water. Quietly, I get up, slipping my feet into my indoor slippers. I yawn, walking out my door. Tonight, I found it hard to go to bed. What happened earlier with my brother and Nico was a memory I'll never be able to forget. It was what had me up all night, just thinking. Not just thinking, but worried as well. I'm worried for Alyssa because I've been trying to call her but she hasn't picked up any of my calls. I told my brother to call her but he said she needs some time alone. Of course I wanted to judo his ass and finish him off for Nico, but I just nod at him.

    I hear giggles coming from the kitchen; coming into the room, I saw it was none other than my brother and well, Maria. I scan the counter to see it was a mess. I guess they were baking because Maria was craving some cupcakes. My brother seemed to be in a good mood as he playfully smeared her face with icing. They still had not noticed me standing in the doorway, to busy being in a trance to do so.

I didn't know what to think of the sight. Just a few months ago before all this mess, my brother and his wife Alyssa would be baking in here, but the look on Bryce's face is different from before. He looked so happy now than he was before.

He looks so in love with Maria right now. I really had no idea what to feel. I really didn't like the fact that Maria came and ruined such a good marriage. My sister in law, Alyssa, had done everything she could to make sure Maria was okay with the environment. She protected her, cared for her, and loved her like a true friend.

I just dont understand why she would do that to Alyssa.

"You make me the happiest, my love. I would die for you." I heard Bryce tell her and I couldn't stop myself...I laugh quietly which caught their attention, making them look over to me.

"How long have you been standing there and what's so funny?" Bryce scowls at me as I finally walk into the kitchen.

I shrug, thinking to myself....its just so funny. What he said was funny. I remember him saying that to Alyssa and now he's telling Maria....

"Oh long enough to get disgusted by all this sweetness, " I tell them, grabbing a water bottle from the refrigerator.

"One day, you'll meet someone and you'll be just like us." Bryce said, pointing a spoon at me.

"Ew, no thanks. I don't want to ever fall in love. " I sigh before taking a sip of my water.

"Why not?" Maria finally spoke up.

I look at both of them, saying honestly ," You guys are an example of why I don't want to."

   It was true. I used to believe in love. In a happy marriage. In a happy ever after. Those kind of stuff. But then my brother and his mistress are proof that a love between to people can be destroyed. A happy marriage can be broken...

I guess my answer wasn't what they expected because both of them stayed quiet. I let out a sigh, glancing at them on my way out,"Night."

            BRYCE

             THE NEXT MORNING, I woke up to Maria sleeping peach beside me. I've always wanted her here beside me and now she is, I'm so happy. She looks like an angel right now. I prop up on my elbow, moving closer to my lover. I caress those soft cheeks of hers. I chuckle when I notice there's still a bit of chocolate icing on her nose.

I keep looking at her angelic face. I can't believe this is happening.

I smile when her eyes flutter open, meeting mine.