20 | Confusion & Pain

Hey guys! Here's another chapter. I hope you like it. Please remember to comment & Vote, my islaanders! Mwahhhh <3 This chapter is still unedited. I have summer class starting June so I'm trying to complete this book.

RISA POV:

"Young lady, where have you been? It is 11:24 right now!" I shout when I caught my biological daughter- Elaina- sneaking up the stairs. She freezes midway and turns around to see me stand up from the sofa with my arms crossed around my chest. I really dont care about Maria even though she is my husbands daughter. She is not mine. But as for Elaina and her brother- Duke- I love them too much. I cant have them roaming around at night not when theres a gang roaming around, wanting to harm me and my family.

I had borrowed money from a gang and spent it all when I gambled. Now Im in the same mess my husband was in months ago. I have to find a way out of this. I must or else theyd take my precious Elaina.

"I was just out with friends mom," Elaina answered, shrugging nonchalantly.

"From tomorrow onwards, come home as soon as your class is over. Its dangerous!" I tell her sternly, gripping her wrist as she winced in pain. "They can take you without me knowing!"

"Ouch, you're hurting me." She winces. I let her arm go and stare at her, mind going wild.

She looks at me, asking," Who are you talking about? The Hemsworth? They already have Maria, mom. You need not worry."

"Its not the Hemsworths, Elaina." I snapped at her and she goes silent. "Its the Everlake Gang."

She gasps. Yes. I had the guts to get money from a very dangerous gang. And now life or death... If I cant give them what they need, Ill give them what they want.

"Mother, what did you do?" She asked, looking at me with so much hope. Hope that I didnt do anything wrong.

But I did. And now Im in trouble.

***

The next day, I was having some coffee in living room when Elaina comes over to sit down. I told her last night about everything. Now I just need a solution- a way out of this mess I had created.

"So what will you do mom?"

"I dont know," I sigh.

"Well think, because I am not going to be a sex slave or whatever if they catch me." Elaine uttered angrily.

"I promise I will not let that happen, sweetie. I just need money." I whisper, staring at my mug.

"Where are we gonna get that huge amount of money?"

I watch as my maid named Hya comes in to take my now empty mug. Then an idea comes to mind just as she was about to leave. Hya has always been close with Maria. And Maria is with the Hemsworth family. Jackpot.

"WAIT. "

Hya looks around to face me, looking nervous all of a sudden. 'Yes, maam?"

I stood up, walking over to her. I grip her chin, facing her to me, saying,"I have a task for you."

[2 days later]

ALYSSA

I sit in the living room, reading an old magazine as I wait for all the household employees to gather in the room so I can explain to them about the upcoming events. I spot Maria scrubbing the dining room floor, sweat on her forehead. She looked very tired and sleep deprived. I stand up, putting down the magazine to go to her. She stops scrubbing when she saw my feet. Slowly, she looked up at me. I lean down and helped her up off the floor.

"Take a rest." I tell her with a small smile. She shakes her head at me, refusing to look me in the eye. Okay. She's acting very weird these days.

"Im fine." She lies.

"I dont believe you." I tell her quietly, placing a hand on her shoulder. I wrap my arm around her shoulder, leading her around the table. I make her sit down and she doesnt complain. I went into the kitchen just in time for the chef to have a soup ready in a bowl. It was chicken soup- my favourite. I got it and refused help from the chef. I can handle this.

I carry the soup over and place it before Maria. She inhales the smell and I see a smile come after that.

"If theres something wrong, you can tell me, okay? Dont hesitate. Im your friend after all." I tell her, hoping shed tell me what was wrong with her lately. She smiles at me, looking at me finally. I see sadness and guilt? What could she possibly be guilty about? Does she miss her family? Whats wrong? I guess I have to let her know about my decision later. Shell finally be free from all this.

"Hey baby," My heart went on fire when I saw Bryce appear in the doorway to the dining room. He doesnt look at me first. His gaze was focused on Maria who suddenly froze in the middle of sipping the soup. She looks much better than a minute ago. I guess the soup does help.

"Baby?" I call him again. He kept staring at Maria longfully. I look at Maria and she finished the soup, standing up. "Want another refill?"

"No Im fine," She stammered before walking out, her shoulder brushing Bryces tuxedo. I look at Bryce. His gaze was still fixated on the place where Maria had been sitting earlier. I walk up to him, placing a hand on his chest, asking, "Bryce, are you okay?"

He suddenly looks at me, blinking as if just noticing my existence. I dont know why but it hurt.

"Sorry, what?" He asked shyly, embarrassed of what happened.

I brush off what happened seconds ago, hiding the pain, and instead asked, "Have you had your lunch?"

"Oh yea," And then he walks away, leaving me alone in the dining room confused and hurt by his actions. Did I do something wrong?

As I was heading into the living room, I stopped when I noticed a girl standing at the front door. I walk up to her with a smile, "Yes, how may I help you?"

"It says here youre hiring." She holds up a flyer. 'I need a job."

"Okay, but whats your name?" I ask politely.

Before she could answer, someone answers for her. "HYA?!"