The girl with the black hair

CHAPTER 3

Prince Harry POV

This damn girl keeps talking to me. She's been chewing with her mouth open for half and hour. I guess being of noble birth doesn't make you plesent. Why my mother thinks making one of these air head heiress's my betrothed will change me I'll never understand. I don't think she knows the extent of my reputation but people talk.. and I'm sure she's alarming enough to be lining up noble girls for me. The prospect of getting married was a neutral one for me. I just didn't wanna end up like my own parents. And now all I can think about was her..

I couldn't help but notice how Hari glared at the girl. She wrinkled her cute little nose when the girl touched my arm. Or maybe I was imagining it and the girls unpleasant was just that palpable. I think her name was Penelope or Porcupine or something. Hari stood with her little chin high, letting the elegant ridges on there throat show. Her collar bones...

The girl laughed and touched my arm again. I flinched a bit. Nearly forgetting she was still sitting beside me. I gave her a half trying smile. Her father became ridged across from me. He had been staring daggers at me for the past hour and the way he looked at my arm like he wanted to cut it off told me that he heard the rumors. I am pretty known among the aristocratic high society in Greece for being..let's say generous. But I had no interest in bedding his daughter. But if I wanted to, I could. She was like most nobel girls I come across, eager to please and not a care to be had. All she wanted was what they all wanted, to one up each other. To get the ultimate title. Queen. My queen. Most bad enough sense to realize I wasn't going to marry them and rather settled for casual sex while they stayed in the castle. On any regular day I'd at least be courteous and pay some half hearted attention to the young lady's insignificant little story, but to day was different.

Today there was a breeze.

A breeze that made the hem of Hari's dress lift and dance, showing a bit of the smooth brown skin of her thigh. The same malevolent breeze carried her long, curly hair into the air around her. Such beauty waisted on such a cold girl...

"AND I SAID, NO! ONLY SAPPHIRES WILL DO", the girl laughed loudly and I jumped a bit as she startled me out of my trance. I watched Palmegranet with a bewildered expression.

She truly was a peculiar girl. Hari I mean. But I knew that was my fault too. I remember when she first came here a couple years back..when my real father was still king.
She was my best friend... and us not being friends is all my fault and I can't deny it.

***

FLASHBACK (as told by Harry)

My momma let me play with the present kids near the palace usually but today they all had to "farm" or help there parents in there shops or something or the other

I had nothing to do. I sat in the garden pouting. Then my momma came in to the garden holding a little hand.

"Harry this is Mata Hari and she will be living with us! Nona brought her."

The girl was hiding in my mothers skirts. Mother urged her not to be scared.

She had this beautiful glowing skin.. I had never seen anything like her. all the other girls in town were pale, with light hair and rosy checks.

But not her. she had a big cloud of curly hair that fell to her hips. her eyes were huge and her eyes had these bright lights in them..she had huge cheeks,

But her body was small like she hadn't had a good meal in a while.
She played timidly with the hem of her pressed white dress.

"You got a name?" I'd heard her name I just wanted to hear her speak.

"Mata Hari" she says.

"Why do you talk weird?" I asked.

She shrugged, still playing with her dress.

"Well I'm Harry"

I didn't want to play with her.

"What-that" she says in her soft voice.
She taps her cheek as she refers to the big scratch on my cheek. My dad had hit me the other day. I just started my army training and he had me fight a 9 year old boy on my first day. I got beat up pretty bad- then he beat me up for not winning.

It made me mad that she asked about it.

"None of your business!" I said angrily, tucking the ball under my arm.

"Could..Can I play" she said softly while pointing to the ball.

"Depends, do you know how to play...faceball" I smirked.
I balanced then little ball in my one hand.

"No.. but I can learn" she said with her arms out. She smiled lightly at me and her big eyes shined like nickel.

"Ok stand still" I said laughing a little. I stepped back and threw it as hard as I could at her face.

I knocked her on her butt. she was crying befor she even hit the ground. She looked at me through tier filled eyes.

I started laughing. How naive could she be? I said faceball!! Then when I looked at her she was really crying.. and getting louder, her little hands covering her face.

"Ssshhh please sssshhhhh!" I shushed I surely didn't want mother seeing this. I was always in trouble for playing rough and hurting people.

I rushed over to her and got down on my knees. I pulled her hands from her face.

"Please. stop.. I'm sorry." I started kissed her forehead. It was the way my mom calmed me down.
She growled and shook her head.
She pushed me hard into the rose bushes. Now I was crying.
She pushed me! I couldn't believe it...no one ever pushes me!

"Stupid boy!"she said and ran off into the garden."play by yourself you...you...leafhead!" I guess that's all she could come up with, seeing we were in a garden.

No one ever treated me like that. They always let me play the way I wanted. Let me win every game and play as rough as I wanted.

"Wait! " I ran after her...that curious girl.

We played everyday after that which usually ended with her hitting me or calling me a name.

She was my best friend. A real friend. And late at night when my parents used to argue and I couldnt sleep I'd sneak downstairs to the stairs to the servants quarters.

I held tightly on my sheets as the sound of crashing pottery went off again. I heard my mothers voice and my father booming over her...
I wiped my tear stained face and grabbed my blanket, bear and snuck downstairs to the servants quarters. I snuck past many doors before I reached a familiar wooden door with scribbles of chalk lining it's bottom. We got in trouble for that. I opened the door, knowing it wouldn't be locked. I snuck slowly through the dark and went to Mata Hari's bed. I shook her a little and groaned to make my presence known.

"Again?" She mumbled as I nudged her in bed with my wooden brown bear and jute blanket.

"Yea" I whispered with a sniffle.
she sighed and opened the covers to let me in.

Nights like that got more and more frequent..
****
I was 13 when my fathers friends and his 8 daughters came to live with us on there travels, they only stayed for 5 days but those 5 days changed her life and mine..

For some reason they didn't like her. Not for some reason. I know now why. My young self was simply in denial.

She wasn't us. Wasn't of our class.

"Why are you always with that peasant girl? do you LIKE her or something"Ayyah the oldest said

She was 15 at the time.

"No" I growled blushing

"Then why are you blushing" another scoffed

They all started going on about it. and at 13 I wasn't about to admit I liked a girl

"Then prove it" they said all leaning in..

Me and her never spoke again after that day...

What I'd done was cruel...but i didn't care. Maybe i still do not. Yet one thing remained, i could never stop thinking about the girl with the black hair.