Natsu's POV:

My heat was over, but I was exhausted. Maybe being heat wasn't the worst pain I've had, but it was constant, and the pain flared at random times, crippling me. Happy left when my heat ended, telling me to rest. He's a good friend. I didn't go far, I stayed near my hiding place. There were plenty of winter berries and wild boar nearby if I got hungry, and my cave had a natural spring in it.

     All I wanted was sleep right now. Sleep and food. I'd hunted a boar earlier, eaten all of it, and now I was sleepy. No one in Fairy Tail can find me here. I'm safe. I missed being in this cave. It's been years. It reminded me of Igneel and his attempts at making me civilised. I feel safe here. I drink from the spring, then I curl up on my sleeping mat and I'm asleep.

.
..
...
....
.............. huh? Where.... oh right, Igneel's cave. My cave now. I stretched, realising I felt much better now. I guess I had to go back to the guild now. I didn't want anyone worrying about me. I was busy packing my dirty clothes and sleeping mat into my bag when I smelt him. I'd recognise the stench of fish and wet cat anywhere. Happy.

      "Natsuuuuuu!" He cries, flying towards me at max speed. Why does he smell like he's been crying again? Had Carla turned him down? He flew into me, sniffling. He rambled something too fast for me to understand, so I told him to calm down and start slower. He sniffled. I petted him behind the ears, making him purr.

       "It's Gray. He's trapped himself in an ice-ball again. Loke scared him." He snuffled, burying his furry blue head in my scarf. I didn't hesitate, I just acted. I grabbed my pack and jumped. Happy knows me too well, because he caught me and flew max speed with me in his paws.

       Was Gray ok? Was he still hurting from that incident? Why the hell was I worried about that pervy popsicle anyway? Why hadn't Erza took care of him like I told her? Happy dropped suddenly, making me aware of my surroundings again. We were only halfway, but my little buddy was looking really tired.

     "Hey Happy?"

     "Aye?"

       "Drop me. Trust me." I told him, and he did. We'd done this a few times, usually when I was battling enemies, but this time I was going to do something a little different. I was falling, but I didn't care. I think normal people scream and panic when they fall to their deaths, but I wasn't scared at all. I just went Etherious and caught a hot draft of wind to climb.

      I beat my dragon like wings and caught up to Happy, who was almost out of magic. His wings were fading in and out like they were about to disappear, but he was pushing himself. He must be really worried about that icicle. I plucked him from the sky like some monstrous hawk, and held the exhausted exceed to me. He was asleep in seconds.

    It didn't take me long to fly back to the guild. I could actually go faster than Happy, but I preferred him carrying me, not because I'm lazy or anything, it's just I didn't think people would react well to a half-demon landing in their garden or in the middle of town. I'm not stupid. I know I'd cause a mass panic in my Etherious form. This was different though. I knew I didn't have time to change back before entering the guild, so I just walked in with Happy in my arms.

      "Oh. My. Gods." Levy mumbled, staring at me. She's got that weird bookworm face on. Lucy glares at me, so does Erza. They know who I am, even if my hair and skin is different. I mean, it's kinda cool that everyone is staring at my wings and tail and not my face, but it's still weird. They all think I'm a demon, not their friend Natsu.

     "Where. Is. He?" I manage to snarl out, Wendy pointing to our usual seats. Half the table is encased in the ice as well. Damnit Loke, I know you didn't mean it, but damnit. I prod Happy with my tail, waking him up. I look at Gray's ice, then at the rest of the guild. He understands, thankfully. He flutters over to Luce and sits on her head, falling asleep once more. he... he smells scared. Terrified. His fear scent is so thick in the air, I can almost taste it.

      "Fire Demon's Rage" I roar, blackish red flames jetting from my mouth. Stupid popsicle. He should have just stayed at home if he was this scared of other guys now. Why? Why did those vile men have to choose Gray?

The ice melts away, revealing the idiot stripper curled into a defensive ball. Wait... are those tears I smell? I stomp forward. I can't really pick him up like this. My claws might scratch him and hurt him more. Instead, I crouch down, spreading my wings to block everyone's view.

"Gray?" I rumble. I hate my demon voice. It's all scratchy and horrible. But it's kinda awesome how I can purr and growl like Igneel. Had my Etherious form been modelled on him maybe? Gray uncurls a little, so he can look up at me. Man, he looks like crap.