One

Beep. Beep. Beep.

It kept ringing in his ears, tapping his fingers in rhythm to the irritating noise. 

It reminded him, it reminded Scott of his stay in the hospital bed. The beeping of the machine which reminded him he was alive.

The smell of antiseptics and cleaning agents made him sick. His whole body ached, the scenes of the incident flashing through his mind, bits and pieces making nothing clear.

Two weeks in a coma and months getting back on his feet. Nothing was ever the same.

The music blasted through his headphones, the television playing some movie he didn't know the name of.

It confused him, trying to keep up with the lyrics but desperately trying to understand the flickers of pictures.

It distracted him from the beeping in his mind, as if the sound was embedded in his head through all his hospital stay.

Scott would constantly press the volume up button on his phone, increasing the already deafening sound of the music when all he was doing was sinking the button out of place.

"Scott" his mother called, pulling a ear bud out his ears. The shorter woman with cheerful blue eyes frowned at Scott. "I've been calling you for ages"

"Sorry" Scott replied half heartily, pausing his music and removing the other ear bud. "I didn't hear you"

He didn't seem to hear much these days, the constant beeping and reminders of his accident. All the sounds he desired not to hear.

"Breakfast is ready" Gianna, his mother said. Her hair done in neat bun and her usual nothing better than a home cook meal  apron, a gift she received from her precious angels ages ago tied around her small frame. She knitted her brows as Scott wrapped his headphones around his phone. Her lips sporting a lopsided frown, ready to do her usual morning speech. "Is it that beeping sound again?"

Scott squeezed his eyes shut, his lips pressing in a thin line. He didn't want to discuss the same thing over and over. "I'm fine"

"We all know what that means" Maddie, his younger sister who couldn't keep her mouth shut said, cradling her baby in her arms as she fed him his formula. "A cry for help"

Gianna rested a hand on her sons shoulder. Facing him to look in his dark brown eyes, searching for the truth.

Scott directed his gaze, her motherly instincts kicking in. "You don't have to lie to us Scott"

"I'm fine mom" Scott assured her, slipping pass his overly protective mother to attempt to eat his breakfast.

"Mornings, evenings and nights" Maddie said, Simon--her son-- resting on her shoulders as she gently patted his back. "That's when it happens right?" She looked to Scott for conformation.

Scott took his seat around the island. Scrambled eggs, bacon and hash brows neatly placed on the plate before him.

If it was any other morning, when his mood was better which wasn't very often, he would dive right into his mothers home made breakfast, savouring the flavours.

"Yes, its happening again" there was no point hiding it any longer. They knew because he told them the moment the beeping started. Keeping him up at nights and causing him distress during his days. "But its stopped now"

One thing Scott noticed was how it would echoed through his mind most days. Sometimes it stopped for days at a time but he found a way to dealt with it and that was never to be left in silence for long, sounds over powdered it.