Nine

Elijah could remember the feeling he got from the famous baseball game that forever changed his former middle school losing streak. How he felt a rush of adrenaline and excitement as he bolted from his seat along with the rest of crowd, screaming until his throat felt sore. Elijah watched from the bleachers as they all rushed towards the star of the game. That day he thought baseball was the coolest sport and wanted to join. Mostly he wanted to hit a home run like Scott Finnegan. 

When he heard that Scott had giving up on baseball he didn't bother to join the baseball team. There was no longer a point if he couldn't play alongside the one person who he was starting to look up to, the one person who made him wanted to play in the first place. Never would he have thought to be sitting in Pops Diner with that very same person.

As he looked in his bathroom mirror clouded with steam, he used his hand to wipe away a section so he could look at himself. As his damp black hair, blue eyes and slightly chubby cheeks reflected in the mirror, he couldn't help but think that maybe he spoke too much yesterday. As he remember telling Scott about how handsome he's become and how he'd love to get to know him. Elijah slapped his cheeks.

"That was embarrassing" he muttered to himself, holding back his smile.

He could only hope that he didn't mess anything up to the point Scott wouldn't want to hang out with him. Elijah knew that Scott had already thought it was okay to get to know each other but he could change his mind at any point. Elijah didn't want to think about the 'buts' and 'what ifs', he just going to go along with the flow and enjoy his time with Scott. 

After throwing a towel over his head, Elijah exited the bathroom. His eyes went to his phone on his desk amongst notebooks, pens and papers. He'd gotten Scott's number without much persuasion or fuss. Elijah sat on the chair and took up his phone, he unlocked it and started scrolling through his contacts until he found Scott's number. His thumb hovered over the call button, contemplating whether he should press it or not. Was it too soon? Was Scott going to pick up the call? All these questions flooded Elijah's mind.

As his finger neared the call button, he retreated it. What would he say if Scott picked up the call? Elijah could just have a casual conversation which would only be a short 'hey, how are you doing? Nice weather we're having'. How much lamer could he get? Elijah's fingers went across to the message button, he'll settle for texting him, only then would Scott not have to hear what a stuttering fool he is over the phone while making awkward conversation.

Elijah wrote many things but erased it the moment he read it over. From 'hey its Elijah' to 'want to hang out tomorrow', of course Scott would know its Elijah, he was the one who saved his number in Scott's phone as Eli. The other text was just too forward, instead he settled for a 'hey'. He then placed the phone to the side, taking up one of his notebooks and pen. He was feeling rater jolly today, maybe that could spark some inspiration.

He found a blank page, hovering his pen over it. His eyes went back to his phone, picking it up to see if there was a reply.

"What am I doing? Its only been like a second" he said to himself, placing his phone back down and returning to his open notepad.

He stormed up ideas about what he should write about. He couldn't begin unless he had a clear topic, something he feel like he could write freely about, expressing his every thought. Nothing came to mind, he was still stuck. Tapping his pen against the white sheet, he chewed his bottom lip, his mind trying to find a starting point.

His phone vibrated against the wooden desk, he literally flung his pen to the side, frowning when he saw that it was only Molly. She was asking how his milkshake date went. It wasn't even a date, just two guys having a milkshake and having casual conversation. He replied with  a simply with: