Two

The sun radiated on Scott's skin, bathing him in its warmth as he took deep breaths.

Scott looked up into the clear blue sky, watching the clouds fade away along with his anxiety.

Feeling a sense of calm, he let out another breath. Scott loved the outdoors, not because it had endless noise that made him not focus on the constant beeping.

But because there was plenty to door under a sunny sky. Whenever he was feeling under the weather he would sit on his front porch, watching as the Hollands children played on their front lawns.

Before Scott would always be out, having fun as life could end any moment. When his own life flashed before his eyes, he suddenly couldn't find the strength to move onwards.

His feet stuck in the same position, going repeatedly in a cycle he wanted to break. He didn't move back home to worry his parents, his sister who now had a younger life she had to take care of.

He could only imagine the look on his parents face when they rushed to the hospital with him. He knew his mother was beside him as they hauled him to the emergency room. Tears trickling down her cheeks as she shouted words he couldn't hear.

When he woke up, he was scared not wishing to face the world anymore. When he saw his mothers desperate face, his dad frustrated and relieved face, his sister crying when she saw him opening his eyes for the first time in two weeks.

He knew he had to hold onto life.

"Its a nice day out" Maddie said, still clinging to Scott as they walked down the street.

Scott kept quiet as he watched his surrounding. Everything seemly so different, things he wondered if he could do again.

Like the teen who was missing a day of school due to excessive partying last night. Would he be able to have a drink with his friends again without worrying about arriving home safely?

Or the old couple next door enjoying years of fruitful love. Will he be willing to love again, trust someone again?

Scott questioned every little thing life had to offer him now. Why did he have to hear such beeping, is it some form of punishment.

Scott noticed Maddie stopping abruptly, loosening the grip on Scott's arm. "You don't have to worry about anything"

Maddie smiled at him, a dimple in one cheek just like dad when he smiled.

Scott looked to the sky then back at his younger sister. He didn't deserve such a precious and caring sibling. All he did was bring them heartache.

Maddie stood on her tiptoes, flicking Scott on his forehead. "Stop thinking about unimportant things" she said. "The wrinkles in the center of your forehead whenever your thinking hard much like mom when she can't decide on which toy to buy Simon"   

Scott knew he couldn't hide anything from his mother or sister. "Maddie do you think I'll be normal again?" the question made Scott look to the ground not wanting to see the look in his sisters eyes as he asked the question.

Maddie rubbed her chin, her gold painted nails glistening in the sunlight. "Hmmm..... I knew your were an alien, not normal in the least"

Scott looked up to see Maddie holding back her laughter. A small smiled tugged at his lips at her attempt at humor.

"Seriously though you're not normal" Maddie said after laughing for a good few minutes. "Neither am I, normal is boring. Us Finnegan's don't do normal"

Scott felt secured by her answer. Feeling more at ease as they continued to the community college.

He wouldn't dare ask his mother such a question. She would hit him atop the head with a spatula then tell him not to ask such a foolish question.

"Am I at least a cool alien?" Scott asked, finding his sister joke intriguing.

"You're a gay alien" Maddie said. "The coolest, gayest alien brother yet"

**

They arrived at the entrance of the the community college after a series of jokes and ice cream stop. Students flowing in, not entirely looking toward to a day fill of lectures.

Scott remembered his own university days. The days when he met him.

The best days of youth; looking back it was just the beginning of his downfall.

Scott saw a familiar blonde in the crowd of people. Grey eyes that sparkled like the moon, a face he would never forget. He could feel the rise in his nerves coming on.

He wanted to reach out but if he did he would only be burnt by his flames again.

"Scott" Maddie pulled him from his thoughts. "I'm okay here, are you good with walking back by yourself?"

Scott took a deep breath, he can't worry his sister before her lecture. She worked hard to be here.

Having Simon made her more determined, wanting to be the best mom for him. Having Simon was a live changing event for her.

Holding the precious bundle of joy in her arms was enough to tell she didn't regret her choices or actions. She embraced them.

"I'm good" Scott said, looking away from the sea of people.

"I could call mom"

"Don't" Scott denied immediately. "She's with Simon I don't want to trouble her"

Maddie placed her phone back in her pocket. "Scott, you're not troubling us. We're glad to have you back home after all those years. Mom was so glad to have you home she almost forgot about me. Dad calls everyday just to check up on you"

Maddie gave Scott her golden smile, one that can wash away any worries you had. "I'm glad your here, Simon loves you and so does the rest of us. Stop worrying, it will take some time but we'll be patient until you start taking large steps into the world again"

Scott didn't know what to say. His sister was pouring out pieces of her heart to him. What they all felt.

"I'm so glad to have a sister like you" Scott ruffled her hair, she was no longer the fourteen year old he left behind. She was now grown, matured and have her own little family. "Sometimes I wonder whose the mature one"

"If you're really sorry then go pick up a new story book at the bookstore for Simon" Maddie smirked, using the opportunity to make Scott the errand boy. "Mom said she's tired of reading the same old stories to him. I honestly don't mind which story gets read"

"Okay" Scott agreed, he hasn't had the opportunity to go around town. Gianna had him on a worried leach and he never took the courage to move beyond the community college.

"Thank you" Maddie chirped, hugging her brother. "I'll see you later"

Scott waved as he watched his sister retreated into the building. If he recalled correctly the bookstore wasn't far from here.

As he headed further down the street. He hoped nothing would go wrong, that his mind would stay at peace until he got home.