Three

When you hear the name Scott Finnegan, you immediately remember the middle school baseball player.

That same middle schooler who stuck gum in Hannah Sawyer hair when she was bullying Carly Huston for wearing glasses.

And if you're lucky enough you would remember that he was the same Scott Finnegan who kissed Mason Forest on Valentine's day back in freshman year.

So if you've heard that Scott Finnegan was back in town likelihood you're not going to see the once star baseball player who hit a home run and broke the schools loosing streak.

He wasn't the same hyperactive kid who would run you down the street with those disgusting earthworms.

He was different, wrapped in a shell from the whole world, broken and trying to find repair. Scott Finnegan was just the guy who came back home after a terrible incident.
No encore, no reunions, just a broken boy.

Scott wanted to get away from the small town madness, go beyond the the lopsided, rusty old sign at the entrance of the town.

He packed his bags and escaped right after highschool into the larger parts of the world for university.

When he saw Mikey Downey with his overgrown scruffy beard, red eyes and the stale stench of beer emitting from his body.

Oversized jeans that hung loose on his hips revealing his bad coloured underwear, shirt that had so many stains you thought it was decoration, Scott knew he hadn't escaped.

He knew Mikey hadn't escaped the small town madness, only to be pulled in deeper and thrown to bad end of it.

"Scotty is that you" Mikey said, his voice grated Scott's ears as he walked with a limp in his step.

Maybe it was just a thing they did since Scott saw a few others having a can of beer and doing the same limp walking.

"The one and only" Scott scrunched his voice at how close Mikey was, mixtures of odours that could accidentally cause someone to faint.

Scott hasn't heard that nickname in years, he thought it was long gone; faded in the wind.

He had gotten it after hitting that home run Scotty the home runner; looking back it was just a lame name.

It followed him into high school then appeared back after kissing Mason. The name was always followed by something.

"Its me, Mikey" he said, pointing to himself. "Man, I thought I wouldn't see you again"

Scott thought the same and if he did see any of his old classmates he always envisions them differently.

Mikey was also a baseball player. The lean boy grew full muscles in highschool as he continued playing baseball and even took on swimming. Scott gradually lost interest in the sport.

He thought Mikey had gotten a scholarship to some university. Yet, here he was, high on something and stinker than a skunk.

Scott wasn't the only one who had hit rock bottom, Mikey just got hit harder.

"When did you get back into town?" Mikey asked, taking out a cigarette and lighting it puffing the smoke to the side.

"Few months ago" Scott forced the words to leave his mouth. He just wanted to buy the story book and go home.

"That long" Mickey took a long draw from his cigar. "You still live the same place?"

Scott wanted to dodge the question, he didn't want to hang out around the future Mikey that had more than a few bad company.