Eight

Scott looked at himself in the mirror for the fifth time. He didn't know if it was simply enough dressed in dark blue jeans, white T-shirt and a denim jacket or if it was too much for a simple milkshake in a diner. He'll just have to trust his sister on this one. Scott would be lying if he said he wasn't nervous, it was he first time being out with someone after everything.

Maddie being the hopeful one said that if things went further and Elijah did something to plunge Scott back into his shell that she would personally kick his ass. Scott didn't even know if today would go well. If Elijah would fall for a guy like him or him falling for Elijah.  

He knew Elijah was good looking and had a smile that could blind you upon sight but Scott didn't know what to make of it. He'll just have to leave it up to the future. As he stood there he suddenly felt a grip on his hand, a desperate hold that squeezed his hands. Scott looked at his hand, knowing that nothing was there but he couldn't help but work his hands a bit. He must have imagined it, all this nervousness had him imaging things that weren't there.

Scott walked back to his bed, taking up his phone that was barely filled with anything. A few contacts and pictures but that was it. He had half an hour to spare before he had to meet Elijah. Scott took a deep breath and went out the doors of his bedroom. All that was left was for Maddie to join him.

Scott closed the door behind him and headed downstairs. Gianna was sitting on the couch rocking Simon in his crib. She caught sight of Scott and smiled at the fact that he was going out. Scott took a seat beside her, watching the stairs for Maddie.

"You don't have to worry" Gianna said, not taking her eye off Simon.

"I'm not" Scott said, trying to hide the nervousness that threatens to take over his words.

"I'll pretend I believe you" his mother chuckled. "You can always refuse us Scott" she finally turned to look at her son. "Especially Maddie, she can be quite stubborn but know that we're trying to help. If you don't like our methods then say so, we won't get upset"

"I'm fine mom" He didn't want to worry his mother any further.

"You're doing it again" Gianna frowned. "If you don't want to talk to us yet then at least tell your mother what you want"

Scott wanted a lot of  things. He didn't want to worry his family more than he should, he wanted to explore outside without worrying, walk normally pass a car without feeling like the hard exterior was going to collide with him. Scott wanted to be able to talk to people and establish connections without worrying that they would one day betray him in the worst way possible and most of all he wanted to be able to trust and love again.

"I want my life back"

Gianna kept her silence, accepting her son's words. Smiling that for the first he's said the words he's wanted to all these years.

"Is my fearless brother ready" Maddie said, as she quickened her pace down the stairs. She was dressed simply: black ripped jeans, a white under blouse that read "rock" and a jacket that hung all the way to her thighs.

Scott stood as Maddie made her way over. She checked on Simon who was asleep, kissing him on his forehead. "I'll be back quickly" Maddie said to her mother.

Gianna fanned her off. "You make me look like I don't like looking after my grandson" she joked.

Maddie chuckled, "I know you love him to the point you'll do anything" Maddie then looked towards Scott, "Ready?" Scott nodded.

Gianna looked at him with concern. Scott smiled, signalling to her that it was going to be okay. They said their goodbyes to their mother before heading out the door. The neighbourhood was quiet for the most part, the Hollands children weren't on their front lawn as usual and the Hamptons house looked to be clouded. The neighbourhood had taken a turn from fear, protecting themselves and family member. You could never be too safe.