Seventeen

"Could you stop that" Maddie frowned from the far end of the couch, typing away on her laptop. "I'm trying to focus here"

"How am I disturbing you?" Scott chew on the end of his pen, looking at Maddie with a curious raised brow.

"You're over thinking so much its like your brain is fried sending all those smoke in the air" Maddie did some weird gesture with her hands. "I can smell your frustration all the way over here"

Scott looked back at his notebook before him. It was still blank just as when he took it from his dad and sat in the living area two hours ago. For the first in his life Scott was trying to write a poem, he believed when Elijah said he could write something beautiful. Was writing something that's suppose to be this hard until his brain fried like Maddie said. 

"This is the second time since week you're doing this" Maddie pointed out. "You did it during dinner, sending all your emotions out making us curious"

Scott knew Maddie was referring to the day Elijah had call him. It was unexpected but non the less he answered the call and every second of it was worth it. When Scott heard the question Elijah threw at him, he knew exactly what he meant. Scott had felt that way a long time ago but it ended on a bitter note-- so bitter he could still taste the after effect.

Scott didn't expect to feel like that every again. That he couldn't trust anyone as far as he could throw them. Yet, here he was with a tug in his heart at the mere mention of Elijah's name. He could feel the bitterness fading from his tongue, being replaced with something rather sweet. Scott didn't know what the after effect would be after savouring something so sweet. One could say he was taking a risk but it didn't felt like that. It was more like he knew what he was heading in for, not fully sure what but he was ready to accept anything at this point.

"Gosh your doing it again" Maddie closed her laptop, her face saying she was curious as to what had her older brother sending hearts into mid air but tried to hide it behind frustrated eyes.

"Sorry?" Scott said not sure if he should apologize for gaining such emotions after such a long time or the fact that he was letting it pour from every inch of his body.

"Let's go for a walk" Maddie stood, pulling on Scott's arm for him to follow her.

Scott painfully uncrossed his legs, feeling the full effect of sitting there for so long. He'd taken breaks but not too many. He wasn't even sure if he could go on that walk with how stiff his legs felt. Maddie wasn't having that when she was standing by the door waiting for him. Scott started off like a toddler learning to walk, he was half okay by the time he was off the front porch.

It was refreshing to see the Holland children on their front lawn after so long. Despite recent events everyone wanted to keep a calm exterior. Mr. Hampton was out and tending to the rose bushed to the side of his front porch. To Scott's knowledge --mostly his mother who would stop by when Mr. Hamptons daughter was busy-- he was moving back with his daughter. The rose bushes must've reminded him of his late wife as he caressed the petals, lost to the current world we live in. The house held a lot of memories for the both of them, each scene being replayed much like now before Mr. Hamptons eyes. He was likely reminiscing about Mrs. Hampton tending to those very rose bushes. Scott could only imagine how heartbroken Mr. Hampton must feel, losing his wife and then having to move from the house they spent many memorable moments together.

It all came down to safety and their daughter felt the need to bring her father somewhere much closer and safer. Scott turned to look at his own house. He's left his childhood home once before but he always knew that he could one day return. Would he be able to turn his back and walk away if push comes to shove? In a sense he could understand the Hamptons daughter to have the last of her family secure. A part of Scott didn't want to leave behind the memories he made in his home and this town.