Twenty - Seven

What should Elijah do when he loses something precious to him? When he loses the person he loves?

He remembered when he was younger and his mother bought him a dog for his tenth birthday. He loved the little dog so much that a day wouldn't go by and he didn't play with him. He would always be in his backyard playing catch with Lev-- he named him so after much thinking.

His mother thought the name was different she wanted him to go with something more simpler and common like Rex or Beethoven even Cujo but they both knew how that went. Elijah pouted on that sunny day when his mother sat him down during breakfast after he had called Lev by his name the first time that morning. With his childish self he crossed his arms after fluffing Lev's fur and sneaking him a strip of bacon. 

His mother wondered why he got so upset over his name. She was only suggesting it, to let Elijah know that there were more options he could choose from. Elijah just sat there afterwards in silence, poking his scrambled eggs with his fork.

"What's wrong?" His mother had asked, pushing her hair behind her ears.

"I don't want to change his name" young Elijah said, glancing up at his mother who smiled warmly. Warmer than the morning sun. Telling him that it was okay to say what he wanted to.

"Why?" She pressed when Elijah said nothing more. "Why don't you want to change his name?"

Elijah placed the fork on his plate, sipping some of his orange juice then said, "because his name contains the love I have for him"

"Oh" was the only thing his mother could reply with. Surprised by her son answer, "Then you should love him forever. Isn't that right Lev" she smiled at the young Elijah then looked at Lev who was wagging his tail.  

"I will" Elijah beamed, running off with Lev into the backyard for another fun filled day under the sun.

Elijah was happy. He was happy with his little friend for the longest while. His smile faded in his twelfth year when Lev passed away. The sun didn't seem to shine again and his backyard seemed so void. He shut himself out for a few days. He had friends his age that could never understand why he was so upset about his dog.

They would only tell him a 'sorry to hear about your dog' but doesn't everyone say that after hearing that you lost something-- someone. It was simply, Elijah had lost his best friend. He previously thought that it was funny how people said that a dog is a man best friend until he experienced it for himself. Lev was everything to him, so why wouldn't he cry?

He loved Lev. Even when he ripped up Elijah's history essay. Turns out he did him a favour. Forgetting what he previously wrote he had to start from scratch and that earned him an A. His very first A amongst B and C in his history class. Through all the walks and his barks. The nights they watched movies even though Lev would fall asleep beside him or just be there to eat all the food. He kept his company either way. Elijah thought if his love wasn't enough that Lev was taken away from him. He promised to love him forever but forever was cut short.

It took him along while to forget the burning ache in his heart. He never got another dog after. Elijah didn't want to go through all of that again. Even though he's lost so many things after throughout his teenage life. He was hit with a slight worst pain than when Lev had died.

Again his love was never enough. Though he blamed himself for the pain he felt. His cowardice younger self could never approach him and confess his feelings. Elijah was stuck with that painful feeling in his chest, loving from afar. Love was something painfully beautiful he had come to realize that. His love was lost like a needle in a haystack. But it was never forgotten. Elijah thought he'd lost him after all this time. The feeling in his chest kept reminding him that there was hope. Throughout those years he thought his love was never enough to bring him back to him.