Epilogue

One year later

The wind was gently and calm. Too calm for comfort. Too gently to be real. Its been a year. A year long of emptiness. Memories that were never there but he kept living off them. Reality was too cruel, everything was wrong.

Scott wished he was still lying in that hospital bed in a coma. At least he was happy. He remembered everything. His life upon till the incident.

Even though its been a year, Scott still found it hard to accept. That Elijah wasn't real. His love wasn't. Then how does he explain the feeling in his chest. That if he just outstretch his arm he could touch him. Only to be met with nothingness, nothing but a void in his heart.

What was he suppose to do with these fake memories? These fake feelings. He didn't considered them fake. Dream or reality he loves Elijah, his family. Everything felt so cruel.

The world felt like it was turned against him, left him to wonder on his own. He didn't feel at home in his own house. He didn't feel like communicating with the people that was his family. Even after a year they seemed to be the fake one. That was it.

It was too good to be true.

A white picket fence family. The perfect boyfriend. It was all too good to be true. The memories could be painfully but they helped him get by.

He would imagine Maddie smiling at him, doing crazy stuff and playing with Simon. His mother wanted to know about him and Elijah. His dad asking him weird questions over dinner. He could see himself smiling. That's when it becomes even more painful when he opens his eyes to see himself crying.

Scott found a small park near his house. He began hanging out there instead of with his friends. Friends he feel so unconnected with.

A ball rolled up to his foot. Scott took it up and looked  across the park to see a little girl waiting for it. That would be him and Simon. Enjoying a day of catch in the park. Scott thought of using his baseball skills to the test. Then he remembered he didn't play baseball. He didn't play any sports. Scott settled for tossing the ball to the girl. She caught it and ran off.

He was no longer the Scott Finnegan who hit a home run for his middle school. The guy who kissed Mason on Valentine's day in freshman year. The guy who stuck gum in Hannah's hair to defend Carly. The Scott Finnegan who left home and got in an accident, forcing him to come back home to heal and met the love of his life, Elijah.

He was now Scott Herrington, a train wreck. How pathetic.

Scott turned to look at the blue sky. He wondered what the view was like at night here on that very bench he was sitting on. He longed for a great view.

Would he even be able to get into poetry without being reminded of it all. At some point he would forget it all. That's why every morning for the last year he's written down the things he never wanted to forget.

Most of all he didn't want to forget Elijah's poem.

'Fate, why are you so cruel
You took him from me
Once twice will there be a thrice'

Fate was indeed cruel. It didn't only take away Elijah but his whole family. Why must he suffer so much. Was it punishment for something he did in his life. It was the worst kind of punishment. A dream about him being chased by a penguin doesn't found half bad. It would be less painful.

'Destiny was kind
It bought him back in time to save two broken hearts wondering in the dark'

Scott scoffed, followed by laughing at his own stupidity. He wished some how that it would all become real. That Elijah would appear before him along with his family. Destiny wasn't kind, it didn't bring him any joy. It didn't save his broken heart. It shattered it more and left it.

'Destiny, why are you suddenly agreeing with fate?
Taking him away
Leaving me astray
Why are you cruel?
Why are you so far?
Was my love not good enough?
Was I not good enough?'

Scott bit the inside of his lip. How can something be so understandable. Everything was stripped from him leaving him bare. Nothing he did now was enough to make the situation change. He was not enough in the least.

"That's a great poem" someone complimented. Scott hasn't realized he was speaking aloud. "Did you write it"

"No" he replied, his eyes still fixated on the sky above. He might as well write it himself since it was his dream. He was just giving credit where credit was due.

"Whoever wrote it must be really talented" he complimented. "And love poetry"

"They do" Scott said, finally looking at the stranger beside him. He was rendered speechless by the sight. Black hair replaced by brown, gray eyes instead of blue but the glasses were still there.

"Is there something on my face" he said, smiling as he patted his face.

"No, you just remind me of someone"

"I hope he's someone great" he chuckled.

"He is" Scott said, still unable to believe his eyes.

"What's your name? If you don't mind me asking" he was already being friendly with Scott and he didn't mind.

"Scott"

"Nice to meet you Scott" he extended an arm which Scott took. "I'm Elias but my friends call me Eli"

**

See author's note.