Fourteen

Sometimes we forget the things we never want to forget and remember the things we want to forget. For Elijah there are a few things he never wants to forget. Though he can be forgetful at times like when he walks into a room and forget why he entered it in the first place or even when he goes to the grocery store and forget the one item that he should never have forgotten in the first place. But that happens to the best of us, right?

Elijah could never forget his first crush or love, whichever he chooses to call it. It only started out as admiration but before he knew it his eyes kept following him everywhere. He would walk the same street knowing that he would be there, thinking that maybe today it wasn't him alone who wanted to get a glimpse. Elijah hoped that one day when he walks the same street he would spare Elijah a glance. Faith was just too cruel.

Elijah knew his name but he didn't know his. Never exchanging a word, like the passing seasons he could only enjoy it while it lasted. His certain infatuation got locked tightly in a box on a certain February morning. Bolted with many locks and a crumbled single rose on top to bid it farewell. That was suppose to be the end of  something beautiful yet painful but when his feet kept bringing him back to the same street, his eyes always seeming to find him amongst the crowd.

The locks that were suppose to be unbreakable crumbled one by one, opening up the very box like newfound treasure. How long can a person endure something so unrequited? Weeks, month; never would he thought it to be years, even when he wasn't on the same street he walked by everyday even though Elijah knew he was taking the long way home. He wasn't in the same halls anymore, like smoke he vanished into thin air.

Elijah once again closed his box of buried treasure but this time there was no locks just hope that next time he digs it up and opened it he would finally find the courage he needs. Elijah balled his outstretched hand into a fist. As if he was reaching out to him but could only get a small hold of him. The night had come to a close and Elijah still had every passing moment fresh in his mind.

As he laid on the small confinements of the couch he couldn't fall asleep. Not because it was uncomfortable but because he feared, he feared if he closed his eyes and fall into a deep slumber, only to wake with a few missing pieces of memory. As Elijah's eyes travel to his kitchen he remembered the look on Scott's face when he ate his apple pie. It was one of true appreciation and love for something delicious. His heart still did a flip just thinking back on the compliment. Elijah had gotten compliments for his famous apple pie from Molly and Carly but Scott made him want to bake an apple pie everyday just so he could get him to praise him again. How silly of him.

The movie was cancelled for a series of question. Elijah got to know a lot about Scott, questions that may seem insignificant to another he wanted to know them. Elijah wasn't even upset that movie night was just about talking, he enjoyed it. He loved the sound of his voice to the point he could play it over and over and never get tired if hearing his low and sweet voice, how it gets shakily when he's nervous and childish when he tries to deny something that embarrasses him. Elijah never wants to forget any of it.  

As his hand rested over his chest, the beating of his heart seeming so loud it echoed through the room. The one thing he never wanted to forget was the feeling of his hand on Scott's chest, the beating of his fragile heart. Elijah felt like their hearts were one, beating in the same rhythm and understanding his emotions just from a single touch. He got up from the discomfort of the couch, looking at his bedroom door that was closed. When he asked Scott to stay over he didn't know what he was aiming at with the request. They talked some more after, losing track of time until midnight.

Scott demanded that Elijah slept in his own bed and he took the couch since he was the one who was intruding. In which Elijah argued and said that he was the one who insisted Scott stayed over so it was only right Elijah slept on the couch. They continued on for fifteen minutes before Scott gave in and went towards Elijah's room. He retreated his outstretched arm, wondering if he should proceed on with knocking on the door. Elijah didn't want to wake Scott in case he was sleeping.