Twelve

Poetry.

Scott had never thought of poetry before. He'd only read a few in literature class back in highschool and that was it. He's never been good at it, trying to figure out what the poet meant only to get a different meaning.

Scott had avoided poetry, not only because of that but he simply thought it was boring until last night.

His views had completely changed, when he walked through the doors of the community center along with Elijah he felt relaxed, all his nervousness and worry seemed like only a figment of his imagination.

When he sat and started listening to each individual poet, for once he understood poetry. Maybe it was because he placed little effort in literature class in highschool that he didn't understand, why he couldn't feel a deep connection with it. But when he heard each persons voice, their words, he understood it all.

He remembered one in particular, it was about a girl and a broken mirror she had. That one felt like it was made for him, like the poet was pointing a finger at him, singling him out from the crowd.

She --the poet-- told Scott about how his inner self was shattered like a glass, how he tried piecing it together by himself. Scott remember how right after the incident he thought everything would be fine now, how he could go back to his apartment and pick up the broken pieces, fit them together back like a puzzle, but he couldn't.  

Much like the girl, he tried everything to stick the pieces of his shattered soul back together. Scott tried to fit in with his regular daily routines, hang out with his friends and even find someone who he could love again.

Nothing worked.

He then tried relying on his family, coming home to be in their comforts and craving his mothers love and fathers protection but they could only do so much. They couldn't fix him completely but they managed to put a few broken pieces back in place.

If he thought about it much like the girl from the poem who realized that no one could fix the mirror but her. Scott would've realized that if he tried hard enough, not like he did back in the city; forcing himself to the point of exhaustion. But differently,  his mother had said it and so did Maddie, they weren't going to force him.

His opinion mattered more, a light push on the back over the starting line was all they would give him. Scott had to choose whether he wanted to take a step forward or go backwards.

They would guide him on the way, be his pillar until he's fully able to keep himself upright. He wanted to take the steps forward and he has been for the last few days.

When Elijah said the words 'trust me' he didn't want to believe such fickle words, his line of trust had been shattered but he still placed his hands around his waist because he was Elijah and Elijah meant different. The very Elijah who didn't question why he was back in town, why he feared cars and why he was so wrapped in his shell. 

As the poet came to a close, he felt a lightness in his heart and the piercing gaze from Elijah beside him. He didn't look at him because part of him wanted for Elijah to keep looking at him with fond eyes.

The night came to end before Scott even realized, he had barely gotten the chance to exchange any words with Elijah. As he thought back to last night, he couldn't help but wonder if Elijah's words were true, if he could write a beautiful poem. He's never written a poem before, just like others he had something to say or voice his opinions but he didn't know how to put it in an abstract way.

Elijah said he hadn't written anything recently and that piqued Scott's curiosity but he won't question it until Elijah is ready to tell him why, the same goes for him he won't tell Elijah anything until he's comfortable. What Scott knew though was that he wanted to move on and he felt the need to hug Elijah as a thank you for he the night.

He felt unusual in the act, his limps shanking as his heart picked up an unusual pace. Scott didn't fail to limit himself in the hug, he couldn't give his all when he's just found the resolve to not let his demons drown him, to fight against his fears. Like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, Scott was going to become something beautiful.

A small knock on his door pulled him from his thoughts, "come in" Scott said to whoever was behind the door as he lifted himself from the comfort of his bed.

He'd expect Maddie to come barging in asking for information on how the supposedly date went and filled his head with all kind of smooth moves he could use for their movie date tonight.

Would Scott even call it a date? If so, he wanted a do over. Yes, he'd found purpose again but he hardly got the chance to talk with Elijah. When they're together he feels nervous yet calm. Elijah's pure eyes and genuine smile meant something.

When he saw his father walked through his bedroom door he knew it was the 'catching up' they had to do, the long awaited talk.

"You still had this?" David said, walking over to the baseball bat in the corner of the room. He gave it a quick swing then said, " I thought we'd thrown this out"

"I had it with me back in the dorms" Scott told his father. "It's like a connection to the former team" 

His father gave the baseball bat a one over, putting it back in the corner. "Scotty the home runner" his father said, reminiscing on the past when they called his son such a name.

"I'm not that Scotty anymore" Scott lowered his head as David sat beside him on the bed.

"I still see my son Scott just older and not playing baseball anymore" David said. "What you have to learn is that you have to accept your mistakes and learn from them. Scott that guy was one of those mistakes don't let him hinder your life. Scott will always be Scott and that Scott will always be my son"

Scott didn't know what to say. His father ruffled his hair much like he did when he was a kid. That guy was by far the biggest mistake in Scott's life but he's starting to learn from it, breaking the shackles he tied to Scott's feet.

"Your mom told me you've been doing well these last few days" David broke the silence. "I've seen it for myself last night. That Elijah guy must really be something"

"Maybe he is" Scott muttered.

David let out a hearty laugh, "I'm guessing I'll be seeing more of him in the future. I already like the guy, those glasses of his reminded me of that time you placed gum in some girls hair during middle school"

Scott had remembered that like it was yesterday. Now that he was thinking about it Elijah said he knew Carly Huston. Scott wondered how she was doing, how different she must be right now. "If you don't scare him off then you're likely to see more of him"

"I'm not scaring anyone away" David quickly defended himself. "That's just how my face is and the way I talk" he joked causing Scott to laugh. "There's one thing I want to ask"

"What is it?"

"Are you willing to give him a chance" he asked. "Only if you want to. This is your decision" he made sure to add.

"I think I am" Scott replied, not too sure about it himself but he was willing to try at this point.

"Then hurry on, I'm not going to be young forever and I can't die with only seeing one grandchild" David said, laughing as he exited Scott's bedroom.

The Finnegan's had too much hope than they could counter for. Planning a future for a relationship that's only just on its way of beginning.