Six

It was a mournful day in the small town. The news broke that Mildred Hampton had pass away. The blow head sent her into critical conditions. Her husband was heart stricken with grief when she didn't wake up from her slumber during her two days in the hospital. 

Elijah didn't know the lovely woman named Mildred but the news still made his heart struck with grief. To think the ruthless bunch with nothing better to do would rob from an elderly couple, maybe they thought it was easier or they just wanted to score that night. Whatever the reason was Elijah couldn't help but feel that the scums of this town should be swept off the streets.

It was no longer time to turn a blind eye when it wasn't more than just petty crimes like stealing booze from the convenient store. They killed an innocent woman for crying out loud. But what could a guy who attends poetry groups and can't even get a spark of inspiration to put his pen to the work do?

Elijah sighed as he looked around the cafe. The morning was slow, most of who knew Mildred and her husband when to give their condolences. Elijah thought he could also stop by and offer a few words of comfort to the grieving family.

Elijah ordered a cup of coffee, opening another one of the poetry books he picked up at the bookstore recently. He thought reading through some popular and interesting ones could give him the feeling he felt on the first day he walked through the doors of the community center on a Friday night. 

He thanked the waiter as he took his coffee, sipping the hot liquid as he skipped through the pages. He got distracted by the murmuring of two people who sat behind his booth. They were talking about Mildred and the gang that walked freely on the streets.

"To think they would succumbed to killing" the woman said, her words laced with disbelief. "Their getting out of hand and the police aren't doing anything"

"Anyone could be next" the other woman said, Elijah could hear the fear in her voice. "I fear something might happen to my daughter, to my family if this keeps up"

Elijah could understand their fear. They were known for their constant drug dealings and minor robbing at the convenient store. Just a group of guys addicted to the dangers they offered on the street, even then there wasn't any killing being notified. Just addicts who died from overdose and a few ending up in jail. Drugs and alcohol were their thing; at least that's what it was before. 

"Cliché scene" a familiar voice said to Elijah. "A boy reading in a cafe while drinking a cup of coffee. I like the sight"

Elijah looked up to see Carly Huston smiling at him. He gestured for her to take a seat in which she did. Elijah met the journalist durning her recent invest in the poetry group. They earned a small column in the local newspaper; it was better than not having any exposure at all.

Carly was of fair height, tan skin and blonde hair cut to shoulder length. She also wore glasses much like Elijah but she would switch them out for contacts sometimes, something Elijah found uncomfortable.

"I haven't seen you in awhile" Elijah said, closing his book and putting it to the side.

"I've been busy" Carly replied after thanking the waiter for her latte she ordered earlier. "And with the recent news I can't say I'm not interested in finding out more about the gang and their recent motives"

"I saw your headline in the paper" Elijah held the warm cup of coffee to his lips, the aroma tangling him into coffee heaven. "I still find it hard to believe"

"Things are slowly changing" Carly frowned. "It might be bad of me but this change might get me the promotion I need. Get me a good story"

"I can never understand you journalist. Always hawking up the gossip like a slice of cake, wondering into the most dangerous of territories just to get a story"