Thirty

"So, are you planning on marrying my son or not?" David asked a nervous Elijah from across the couch.

Elijah was dumbfound by the sudden question. He had not expected Mr. Finnegan to spring such a question on him.

"Dad" Scott said embarrassingly from the kitchen. He was helping Gianna out with dinner and making sure to keep his eyes and ears open towards the living area where Elijah, Maddie and his father was.

Scott had invited Elijah over for dinner which was long overdue. They were much closer than they were before. Happier if possible. Scott felt like he didn't have to worry about anything anymore. He didn't have to worry about Parker. It was a little over three days now and the waves were calm. There was no more letters being left at his front door. He was back with Elijah.

"No, it's fine" Elijah breathed out, turning to send a smile across the room to Scott then looking back at Mr. Finnegan who was awaiting an answer. "I would like to get married to him" Elijah admitted through a nervous voice. Scott who was putting out the dishes almost allowed one to fall to the ground, he was quick to catch it. "If he allowed me to"

"Are you proposing" Gianna said, already getting excited by the exchange. "Are you accepting or not?" Gianna said, forgetting she was attending to dinner and swatted Scott on the back with washcloth.

Scott was lost in his blue eyes that waited for an answer. He knew that this wasn't anything official but it had him on the spot. To spend forever with Elijah sounded elating. Did Scott even need to think about it. A future with Elijah is what he wants, what he needed. There was no mistaking that Elijah was the one. Just like his mother was the one for his father. Scott wanted to build a family like there's. To be together as long as the Hamptons-- even longer. The Hamptons bought about a painful memory to Scott. Then he remembers Elijah's words. None of this wasn't his fault it was Parker's. There was no point playing the blame game now.

"I don't see why not" Scott finally said, receiving claps and cheers around him. At some point Scott had lowered his head, his cheeks red hot. Across the room, Elijah just wanted to rush over and kiss him until the end of time. 

"I'll be the ring bearer" Maddie finally spoke up.  "Simon will be the flower boy"
"How about kids, you want any kids?" David threw another question at Elijah. Like a new deck of cards, he could never know what to expect.

"Dad, why are you doing this" Scott said, he felt like his father was that one overprotective dad who was going to scare away the boyfriend. David only responded with a shrug, Maddie and Gianna snickering silently.

"Yes, I do" Elijah said. Scott noticed how quick he was to answer.

Scott loved kids, especially his little nephew Simon. He knew Elijah would make a great dad. As he stared into the living room, watching his father throw question after question at Elijah. Maddie and his mother adding in every now and then. Little Simon who stretched after Elijah so often. He couldn't help but smile. For just a minute, he saw what their life would be like. A small house filled with nothing but happiness. They would laugh, cry and argue with each other. And by the setting of the sun they knew that they would still have each other. Little feet's will be running around the house. Toys scattered about the place. They would go to recital and games. Taking memorable pictures and videos. Life would be great.

"I can see why you like him" Scott's father said, pointing at Elijah for emphasis. "It's about time we get on with dinner"

There was a lot of things Scott liked about Elijah. The little things and the big things. A card of 'fifty things I like about you' wouldn't suffice. Amongst all of it, there was one thing he would always say. Scott liked Elijah because he was Elijah. David was the first to sit around the table, eager to take a bite. Gianna had to swat him on his hand one too many times. Elijah took his seat beside Scott. Pulling his hand into his the moment he sat down. Elijah was dying for some sort of physical contact between the two. Circumstances didn't allow that.