chapter 9.

"So, you think, you coming here is a way out of your father's demented world?" I ask

"So, you think, you coming here is a way out of your father's demented world?" I ask. Chopping some carrots.

Kate is coming over for a sleepover. Her Dad finally agreed. Well, I don't know how he agreed but Kate came up with a better plan. Or so she said. It's not like she lied to her Dad about her coming here.

Well, that's what she told me.

My Mom is off for the weekend. It would be nice to hang out with her, but I would rather go elsewhere than to be with her in the same house. It's not like I'm being rude to her. But I'm just avoiding her presence for now. It's not only about my cooking, but she keeps whimpering about my Dad every time I see her. She pretends to be strong, but anyone who knows her too well can see the hurt in her eyes.

Just the thought of that man makes my blood seethe. I've always kept a secret about what actually happened between my Mom and Dad. But it's best if people only knew that the cause of their divorce was due to my father's business not making profit. It's true thought. But there is more but the truth lies behind the stone.

I wouldn't want to let anyone in. Not even Kate. My mom suggested that I speak to a therapist or a stranger, but I've always denied. I'm fine, it's not like I'm breaking down or something. What people don't know, won't hurt them. So, they are better off without knowing.

I'm taken out of my thoughts as I hear a knock on the door.

"Coming." I leave the kitchen and run to the door, "Hey, you came early. I thought you said 7pm?" I say, tucking an errand strand of hair behind my ear.

"I know. But the sooner I left the house, The better." She enters and throws herself on the couch.

Kate has been my best friend for a long time now. It feels like forever. I know something is bothering her, but I wouldn't push her to talk until she was free to open up. I'm not good at 'I'm-here-for-you' sympathies. It's either you talk about it or keep your mouth shut. I really didn't care but that doesn't make me a bad friend or person.

"Look, I'd love to sit and chat, but uhm, I'm kind of in the middle of something. So, if you don't mind?" I ask.

She stares at me for few seconds, "Sure. Whatever. Where is the TV remote?" She says, intertwining her hands for support and places them behind her head and sits back.

Okay.

"Look for it. I'm making super." I say, "and if you're feeling cold, run upstairs and fetch a blanket. You wouldn't get lost." I continue with my cooking.

My Mom will be home any minute now, but I didn't bother including her in my cooking. Maybe she bought pizza or burger. I don't care anymore.

I'm a bit stressed about the Assignment that is due on Monday. It's Chemistry, and I'm not quite sure the information is enough. There is a Maths test coming up too, I haven't started practising and I'm not even planning on starting. It's too much work. I'm just glad I've finished my speech in English class. So, I'd enjoy watching other learners crying and talking crap. That's the most amazing part.