Chapter 35.

It's still raining

It's still raining. Just not like yesterday where I had the urge to chop off my head and bury it somewhere safe for the night.

So, I sit on my bed, fold both legs together and grab my laptop and a Chemistry textbook. Thinking about the assignment that awaits me. I'm not gonna lie and say, I don't have energy for it... because I do.

I'm my eager self today.

Keeping myself busy for almost an hour before someone knocks at the door. Getting up quickly and swing it. Being met my Kate's face shocks me for a split second before I smile genuinely at her.

But for someone who knows Kate as much as I do, they'd obviously pick up the fact that something is bothering her.

"You' okay?"

"Yes... well sort of. I've dealt with it and it's time I share it with you." She says as she throws herself on my bed. I go back to my spot and cross my legs.

"Share what with me?" I cock an eyebrow.

She sighs, "You remember at Katherine's party, right?"

"How can I forget?! It happened weeks ago."

"Do you remember the guy that asked me to dance with him?"

"Yes."

"Then I left with him, right?"

"Kate. I remember everything that happened before you left." I say as I lose my patience.

"Okay. So, his name is Bob. He's way older than me, I think fourteen years older... I don't know how he was allowed to the party." She breathes heavily.

"So, after I said I'll be back in ten, we danced for a solid ten minutes before he said I should accompany him to his car. I don't remember saying no, so we went. I couldn't feel my feet walking at that time, my mind was blocked and couldn't think anything twice..."

"... We got to his car and got in. He looked for something behind the seat and came out with a bottle of Whiskey and two glasses. He offered me and I say 'Yes'. We went outside and joined other people outside the house. We started drinking and dancing to our own music..."

"... I don't remember how the people around us left but we were left alone. Some still outside but not next to us. That's when I felt that I was tipsy enough to notice other things..." She takes a moment to breathe again, her voice starting to shake.

"We... uhm... we went to the car and things got a little steamy. I still don't remember some details but he asked if we could go somewhere else, I said its time I go back inside and mentioned it's been long since I left you alone. He told me you'd be fine as we'll be back in a couple of hours."

Her voice starts to shake even more just before tears start bouncing on her face. She quickly wipes them away and mutters, "No more crying."

I push my laptop to the side and take her in for a hug, letting her know that it's okay not to be okay. Sometimes you need to cry in order to heal.

"... So, I told him it was nice meeting him but it's time I go, I tried to open the door but he quickly locked it and said, 'what's with the rush?'. That's when I got really scared. He drove off the drive way, moving at a direction I have no idea of. I begged him to stop, tapping his hand and trying to unlock the door. He punched me twice on my face with the back of his hand and I started bleeding."

She stops again. Tears streaming down her face, she couldn't stop herself from crying. So, I let her, I didn't wanna rub her back as she'll cry even more. So instead, I go downstairs and grab a glass of water for her.

I feel myself shaking as well, feet temperature turning cold and only thinking of the worst. What really happened to her that night?

"Here." I pass her the glass of water.

"Thanks." She galps.

"... So, he stopped at this house. I think it's where he stays. He told me to get out, so I did. Obeying everything he said... but I only did that to fool him, trying to find my way to run away. I still had everything on me, even some loose change. And so, we got out, I tried to observe my surroundings to see if I run away, which road will I use. He unlocked the door, holding my wrist and pushed me inside the house. He threw the key on the kitchen table and forced me to walk upstairs. I told him I needed the bathroom first, and he told me to make it snappy. So, he waited right at the door as I got in."

"I looked for something I could hurt him with. There was nothing that strong. Just a small glass and the rest were hard to remove. And another idea came to me, the toilet. I lift up the tank cover slowly to make no sound and wait for him to lose his temper as it's been long since I was in the bathroom. After some couple of minutes, he opened the door shouting, that's when I threw the tank cover on his face. It hit him right in the four head and he fell down, unconscious. I didn't know what to do, I stood there for almost thirty seconds before I could run for the door."

"All I could see was blur, I kept falling but never gave up. I took the key and tried to unlock. I didn't know which key to unlock with, so I kept trying all of them. I looked back to see if he's there but there was no sign of him. And so finally, the key unlocked. I ran my lungs out, not seeing where I was going. So, I went for some house where lights were on, I knocked. And knocked. And knocked. But no one opened. A woman finally opened the door and that was it. I have no idea what happened from there. I just woke up on a hospital bed with my head pounding and my Mom beside me."

I take her in for another tightest hug and cried, "I am so sorry Kate. Gosh... I wish I knew. Did you take this matter to the police?"

She nods her head in my shoulder.

If I took my time to listen to her than just think of myself, she could have felt better. Acting selfish was just an understatement. She needed me, but I needed my feelings even more. She came from life trauma. Something terrible could have happened to her. She could have lost her life. People don't usually live after what she could have went through.

But she fought, she never gave up, she fought for what's best for her. This is why she couldn't show up on Sunday. But all I did was to conclude what I personally thought. I didn't even consider listening to her.

And so, she opens up to me. After I've brutally shut her down.
_________

Lesson: Listen!

This chapter had to be in and I couldn't delay it any more.

Please V. C. S

till next time.

-t