f o r t y o n e

Zara runs in front of me holding a cup of water.  I smile holding her swimming bag over my shoulder. At the complex, I expect to find Micah but when I don't I sigh.

I put her in her favourite pink bathing suit with her hoodie towel over the top. "Mummy, open," She slaps her hand on the door.

"Zara calm down, baby," I sigh pushing the door open. She jumps up and down, skipping into the building. She gasps seeing the two pools, pressing her face to the glass.

"Isn't this fun, baby?" I smile grabbing her hand. "Come, lets go in and you can met your new teacher."

Zara nods handing me her cup. Opening the door that leads into the pool area I walk to a lady standing in the corner. "Hello, do you know where knew students start?"

"New students?" She smiles, "yes, I'm about the start a class. One is your time?"

"Yep," I nod.

"I'll be the instructor, along with the lady in the pool already. This must be your daughter?"

"Yes. Zara," I pick her up. "Baby, say hello to your new swimming teacher."

"Hi," Zara smiles shyly.

The instructor laughs, "I'm Candice and that's Jenny in the pool. Does she need you to come in with her?"

"That's what I want to see, if she can do it herself or if I need to come for a few lessons. I do have bathers on just in case but Zara is good with water and loves to swim so I thought getting her in early would be good."

"Maybe we have an Olympic swimmer in our hands?"

"Maybe," I smile.

♔♔♔

Zara clings onto me, swishing her legs in the water. I put my trust in Micah to meet us here today but he didn't show. I sigh, hugging Zara, I'm glad she doesn't realise Micah isn't here- I know she'd be disappointed.

Still, twenty minutes after the lesson I stare at the door, expecting the man to come through and put a smile on my daughters face.

"Okay," I sigh, "Zara we have to go home."

"No," she shakes her head, "no, mummy."

"Zara we've already stayed long enough."

I pull Zara out the pool, getting out after her. Wrapping her towel around her I kiss her cheek, there's something with her and water. She giggles trying to get back into the water, "baby, please I wanna go home."

She kisses me as if I'll let her back in the water, "mummy!" Zara begs putting her hands on my shoulders.

I sigh and brush her wet hair back, "I'm sorry, how about when we get home you can have a nice bath and we'll put bubbles?"

"Daddy!" She looks across the pool and prys herself off my lap. "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" She jumps up and down holding onto my leg. "Mamma, see Daddy!"

As he gets closer she runs into his arms hugging him, "princess."

"You missed her lesson," I pack up our things. "Twenty minutes late actually. Lucky I didn't tell the girl you were coming."

He sighs holding her wet body to him not minding that his top will be soaked. "I'm sorry, I tried to get here as quick as I could. I get held up. I could stay back with her for a while, I mean if that's okay with you?"

"Not too long," I check the time, "there's a a cafe across the road. Zara needs to eat, she'll be tired soon."

Micah takes Zara's towel off, chucking it on top of her bag. "Aren't you cute," he smirks looking at her bathers. "So damn cute."