f i f t y f o u r

Zara sits on the ground, playing with her toys. Alessio sits beside me, with his ankle crossed over his knee, overlooking the view from the balcony, "if you want to go back soon,
we can. I'll fly back with you."

"I think that's best," I nod. "But i'm not staying- I need to find a new place."

Alessio nods, sighing. "I wish I could make up for the mistakes my son have created. Zara deserves better- You do as well."

I smile, "Anyway, It's Zara's birthday soon. I was originally planning a birthday with her friends from day-care. I'm not sure anymore, I'll probably do soemtjing the two of us. Would you like to come if I organise something?"

"Of course," Alessio smiles, "anywhere that little girl is. I'll be coming."

Zara puts one of her dolls, on my leg holding up one finger, "one f-for mummy."

Alessio grins pulling her into his arms, "such a smart beautiful girl you are, my love."

Zara giggles, putting her hands on his chest, "no-no!"

Alessio settles her down, "Go, Go, Go play."

Zara smiles putting her hands on his knees. Alessio puts his hands over hers, "I think I have the most beautiful granddaughter."

"Yah!" Zara replies.

Alessio laughs, shaking his head. "Beautiful is one thing, my love. But smart," He pinches her chin lightly, "-smart is even better. Don't you agree, Zara?"

"Yap," Zara nods, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I'll tell you again, when you're just a little bit older, but follow your heart and you'll be happy in life even if things may not go as planned."

Zara scrunches her nose, shaking her head at Alessio. "Mama," Zara puts her hand on her head, "hair?"

"It'll get ruined, you need to go to bed soon. I'll do it tomorrow, okay?"

Alessio stands up, I stare at him for a moment, wondering off his suddenness. I follow his eyes, everything feels like slow motion. His standing there, in all his glory.

I grab Zara, pulling her into my chest, maybe to stop her from running to him- I won't give it to him. I won't let him win this one- get away with this one.

When he steps into the light I notice the blood covering his clothes and skin. Maybe this is another reason to shield Zara from him. Standing up, my lips part. Alessio steps in front of me, "Son."

"Get out," Micah says coldly.

"You may be my son by blood but I will not step away from those two girls and let you hurt them."

I touch Alessio's back, "can you please take Zara? I'll be fine."

Alessio turns to me, taking Zara out of my arms. "No-no!" Zara giggles.

"What about a bath, Principessa? An Italian lesson which will surely make your mother get a little upset?"

"Yes!" Zara nods.

Alessio goes back into the room and then leaves. My hands grasp into the balcony railing, starring off into the distance. I can feel my body shaking and I know it isn't from the cold.

I feel his hand on my waist, I spin around stepping away from him. I can hear my heart thumping in my chest. His eyes travel from the view to me, his lips slightly part.

"Don't touch me," I whisper. "You don't get to come back and act like nothing happened. You hurt me, you ruined everything."

Micah rubs his jaw, "and here you are acting like a perfect little family with my father."

"Right now, your father is the only one who cares about Zara and I being safe and having a life that will do her well."

Silence pulls over.

I can't process anything.

Micah grabs the rail, his head dropping. "Zara. I want to see Zara."

"No," I shake my head. "First, It's late. Second, you don't deserve that. You left for thirteen days, without a word and until I get a valid explanation of why and why you have blood covering you."

Opening the screen door, I decide to find Alessio and Zara. I feel Micah take my hand, I pull away and leave.

I find myself in Alessio's room and then his bathroom. Zara sits in the bathtub full of bubble, Alessio on the ledge beside her, "Mummy!"

"Rosalie," Alessio stands up offering his hand. "Is everything ok?"

"Can we stay here tonight?" I ask.

"You don't need to ask," he shakes his head. "She asked for bubbles, I added. It's obviously been a while since i've done this."

"It's okay," I shake my head smiling.

Sitting on the ledge of the bath, I put my hand on Zara's head. "Mummy never lets you have this many bubbles do I?"

She grins, putting bubbles on my leg.

"Zara," I sigh scooping bubbles and putting it on her head.

She giggles shaking it off.

Alessio looks at me, shaking his head. "She's a crazy girl I just say."

"You just realised?" I ask.

"Are you okay?" Alessio asks.

I look down, "honestly, no. But I need to stay strong for her, she can't see me break."

♔♔♔

I place a sun hat on Zara, she giggles as it falls over her face. She lifts it up, trying to hold in her giggles. Alessio suggested that we find ourselves out of the wrath of Micah and onto the beach.

Putting Zara down I grab my phone out, snapping a few pictures of her. She tilts her head smiling and closing her eyes.

"Mummy," Zara pulls on the side of the sun hat, shielding the sides of her face.

"Crazy," I pull the sunscreen out of my bag. I start with her legs, her arms and lastly the hardest part, her face. Zara makes a fuss, trying to run off towards the water.

"Now we can go," I squeeze her cheeks, "patience is key my baby girl."

Holding Zara on my hip, I walk towards the water. Putting her down, she runs back over into the sand escaping the cold water.

"Mummy!"

there's no aesthetic on the past few chapters so sorry if i randomly update them ya know

also enjoy this update as it's one of the last to come :((

and guys i really need more comments and votes as they decrease every chapter