f o r t y f i v e

Zara stays sleeping. I hold my legs to my chest, leaning against the arm rest. Micah fidgets in his spot, I can still feel the anger radiating off him. We both watch her, her chest rising and falling with each breathe she takes.

"Why did this have to happen to my princess?" Micah whispers starring at her. "She doesn't deserve this at all. She deserves the world. Another scar she doesn't need."

Looking away I stare at the floor. Micah stands up, moving around the room. Ignoring him I move to the bed with Zara, carefully moving her to the side. Kissing her forehead, she slightly moves.

"Take as long as you need baby," I whisper. "I just want to see you get better again."

Micah puts his palms on the side of the bed. "I need to some things. I'll be gone for about an hour if that's okay? If you want me to stay I will, I can cancel things."

"I'll call you when she's up."

Micah leans down kissing her forehead, letting his lips linger on her forehead. "I'll be back as quick as I can. Even quicker when she's awake."

"Thank you," I put my hand on his cheek. "I'll see you. Keep your phone on you."

"Will do."

Micah kisses my cheek before leaving. Putting my hand on Zara's stomach I sigh, "my poor little baby."

I listen to her now steady heart beat making sure everything's okay. Her small lips are part, taking in breathes as she sleeps. My finger traces against her face, tracing every small detail.

Noticing what features of her are mine and what are of Micah's. She's a complete beautiful blend of both.

♔♔♔

Zara smiles, pulling at my top. "Smile for daddy, baby," I squeeze her chin, taking a picture to send to Micah. "I'm so happy you're awake baby."

"Sore," she frowns, touching her side.

"Don't touch baby," I move her hand. "Are you hungry? I have some fruit if you want? You have to eat extra healthy in the next few weeks okay my baby?"

Zara nods trying to sit up. "I'm sorry baby," I whisper. "Not yet. The doctor has to have a check up on you soon and I want you to be very very careful okay?"

"Tab-bey?"

"Tabeys at daddy's house and as soon as your better you will have her again and you can go back to swimming."

Alessio smiles, pushing her hair back, leaving a kiss on her forehead. Zara moves her head, Alessio smiles squeezing her chin. "Your confused because your seeing lots of me."

"You can tell her," I look at him. "If Micah gets upset it'll be at me. Zara doesn't have any grandparents that are alive and acknowledge her."

"Nonno," Alessio looks at me. "It's an Italian version of grandpa. Much easier to say for the little ones."

"No-no?" Zara asks, laughing.

"See, Principessa," Alessio smiles. "I'll teach you italian and you'll be very grateful when you are the smart one who speaks in two languages."

"English first," I look at him.

"Of course of course," he nods. "But my Principessa must have some Italian in her. It will make me happy."