f o r t y n i n e

Sun glares into my eyes the second I open my eyelids. It only takes a second for everything to come crashing back into my brain. The balcony. Stay. I rub my forehead, opening my eyes again. This time the light isn't that bad.

I finally realise that Micah isn't in the bed. I take a deep breathe. How the hell am I meant to face the man now?

Getting up I slip one of his shirts on, I pull my hair to the side sighing. Maybe this was a mistake.. stepping out the room, I walk down the corridor looking in Zara's room.

Neither of them are in there. I sigh, walking around. I find Alessio, "good morning," I smile.

"Rose," he nods, looking down at me. "Should I ask?"

"I don't think so," I shake my head, "do you know where Zara and Micah are?"

"I'll take you," he nods his head. Alessio runs his hand along the wall, "these walls are full of devastation."

He stops in front of a grand door and part of me is honestly scared to see what lays on the other side. "I must be off but I will see you later tonight," Alessio glances away.

"Thank you."

Touching the nob I sigh, what the hell am I supposed to do now around Micah? Maybe I should just act normal. Pushing open the door I step through, closing it behind me.

"Mummy!" Zara's voice is the first thing I notice. Then I notice the well decorated room full of endless amounts of toys and lastly Zara giggling beside my feet.

Picking her up I pull her into a hug, wishing I couldn't never let go, "I love you, baby. So much."

"Rose," Micah looks at me.

"Good morning," I nod, holding onto Zara unsure of where we stand after what happened last night. Zara snuggles into my body, closing her eyes and hugging her toy.

Micah runs a hand through his hair before stepping closer to us. And another step closer. Micah towers over us, his lips touch my forehead. I don't know what this means.

I don't know what anything means nowadays.

Zara leans her head back into Micah's chest, smiling up at him. He grins, touching her nose, "beautiful girl."

Zara giggles, hiding her face in my shoulder. I look at Micah, sighing. I've never seen him so happy. He leans down, out of nowhere, placing his lips over mine.

When Micah steps back I stare at him, so unsure about everything. Putting Zara down I let her go play, "do you have anything to do today.. or?"

"Why?"

"I was thinking of taking her to the beach," I brush a piece of hair from my face, "or the pool. Just to take her outside of here for a few hours."

"Go to the pool," Micah nods.

♔♔♔

Putting Zara down on the ledge of the pool I fix her hair in a small pony tail. I take this moment in, pulling Zara into my body for a hug. "Mummy!" she giggles, placing kisses all over my face in return.

"I love you, so much, baby."

She stays on my lap, curling into a ball. I smile, tickling her side. Her legs kick out, as she rolls over me. "No! Mummy!"

"Okay, silly, time to go in the pool?"

Zara nods, her eyes widening.

Walking around to the steps I step into the cold-ish water, Zara jumps down, splashing water up my legs. Unlike me, she doesn't care for the cold.

Only minutes after, Micah comes outside with no shirt and a towel. I quickly look away, Oh God. "Daddy! Daddy!" Zara giggles, reaching her arms out to him.

Micah comes into the water, taking Zara from my arms. I blink a few times, not sure what to do now. Micah steps into the deeper side of the pool. It's now, when I notice all the scars on his back. I'm in shock.

"Rose?"

I shake my head looking away. I can't even begin to imagine how they got there.

After a while, Alessio comes out, Zara begs to jump up and talk to him. Micah places her on the ledge of the pool, Alessio grins swiping her into his arms. For a moment I don't worry about her, I know she's safe.

Leaning my head against Micah's back I wrap my arms around him. Micah stays still, I can hear his light breathes. Pulling away I run my fingers down the scar that runs down the middle of his back.

Micah turns, almost abruptly, taking my hands into his. I open my mouth, ready with a million question. "Don't Rose," he shakes his head.

"I want you to tell my things," I whisper.

"You're cold," Micah's fingers brush against my skin. "Have a warm shower. I'll stay out here."

"Mummy," Zara sits at the edge of the pool, ready to push herself in, holding Alessio's hand.

"Nonno can't come in my love," Alessio smiles kneeling beside her. "But I promise tonight you and I can have some fun."

"Nonno and Zarwa?" she asks.

Alessio looks at me, "Rose?"

"Of course."

♔♔♔

Zara sits in my lap, with a lollipop Micah gave her. Pulling her hair back into a ponytail, "Ow! Mummy!"

"I'm sorry, baby, just hold still for a few moments and then I'll let you go crazy."

Micah comes in, rubbing his knuckles. I glance up for a moment, confused, before noticing fresh wounds on his knuckles. I sigh, quickly finishing Zara's hair before putting her on the ground.

"Micah," I stand up. "What happened?" His hand comes to my cheek, sighing. I stare up at him, "I just want you to tell me things."

"I don't want to scare you."

"The only thing that will happen.. will happen if you don't tell me things."

Micah shakes his head, licking his lips. "If you think I'll be letting you leave anytime soon- anytime ever. You're so fucking wrong, Rose."

"You don't get to say those things anymore. If you want to be apart of Zara's life.." I watch her quietly play with her toys, "or my life."