f i f t y e i g h t

My dad was alright. A sigh escape my lips as I watched the landscape go past in a flash. Zara is fast asleep in the back of the car, finally ready to be leaving the hospital. Micah looked tense, he'd been driving for hours only because I didn't want to get on another plane.

One week with a million kind gestures. Micah was a man who wanted something and got it. Although he hasn't directly told me what he did in the two weeks, he did say he only wanted to protect Zara from everything. Even himself.

Micah had a hatred for his father, as I look at the man beside me I wonder if it's because they are so similar.

My eyes follow the tattoos going up his arms, I forget just how many he has. How little clear skin he has left on his body. "We can find somewhere to stay overnight," I speak up, "you look exhausted."

"I'm fine," Micah clears his throat, steering the wheel. His holding onto it so tight that his knuckles has a white tinge to them. I don't think, I let my hand reach other the console between us. My hand resting on his shoulder.

I watch his body relax. Micah takes a breathe, stealing a glance my way. "Are you okay?" he asks, "I know this was hard for you."

"I've been better," I admit.

Silence falls between us for a moment, but I can't help but want to pour my feelings out to him.

"Micah," I let his name roll of my tongue, "thank you, seriously. I don't think I would have been able to last this week if you weren't there."

"Is this any movement towards you forgiving me?"

"Oh, I forgave you," I whisper. "But I think for us to be together and happy. It needs to be at the right time, when all the pieces fall into place. I don't think it's the right time."

"I want Zara to grow up, having her parents together," Micah says slowly.

In agreement, I nod. "Although we don't want to teach her if someone hurts you should forgive them straight away. Especially if it's a boy when she's older."

"We don't need to teach her that," Micah shakes his head, "because she won't be dating."

I roll my eyes, bringing my hand back to my side, "for your information she will be dating because I don't think we, mostly you, want her to rebel out against us."

"And," I look out the window, "Zara will attend a normal school and be a normal kid not known as Micah King's daughter at some expensive school."

"Maybe we should take it as it comes," I look at Micah, "one day at a time, yeh? For Zara and us, okay?"

"One day at a time," Micah nods, looking at me. His hand comes to my side, resting on my thigh, "one god damn long day at a time."

♔♔♔

"Daddy," Zara skips over to him, "come play?"

"Aren't you exhausted?" he asks, picking her up from the floor.

I rub my head, looking at Micah, "correction, she's some how more energetic than she's even been in her life."

Micah shakes his head, a smile on his lips. He kisses Zara's forehead, "looks as if your making your mama over there crazy."

Zara laughs, hugging Micah. Her arms wrapped around his neck. Micah closes his eyes, sliding on the bed beside me. "Can you believe she's going to be three tomorrow? I don't want her to grow up."

"I know," I whisper, putting my hand on Zara's back, she pokes her head up, laughing. "Three, baby, you're growing up so fast."

She sits up, sitting on Micah's stomach. She points to her chest, "big fwee."

"Yes, three," I nod.

Micah laughs at her attempt to speak. "Three and even more crazy, is that going to be possible for you?"

Zara nods, giggling.

"Your mummy doesn't agree but hey, no dating boys when you're older, yeh?"

"Yep!" Zara nods.

Gently hitting Micah's arm I laugh, "you can't use the fact she doesn't know what your saying against her."

"She agreed. Too late," Micah looks at me smiling.

♔♔♔

Joining Micah on the balcony, I let my head rest against his shoulder, putting my hand over his, "you know how much I appreciate you being there for the last week. You didn't need to but you dropped everything to be with us."

"I did have to be there," Micah replies. When I feel Micah moving I take a step away, letting him have room. "You both needed me, I finally did what I had to."

"You did," I agree.

Micah looks at me, his eyes can be read like a book. His relaxed and safe, he isn't worrying about what comes next in his working life like he used to.

Micah takes a step forward, leaning his forehead against mine. His thumbs resting against my cheeks, his fingers sprawled across my neck.

I feel his breathe against my lips. Unlike the cold air, everything about Micah is warm and comforting. My hands are against his chest, over his heart.

"I promise I'll be the man you deserve, the man you want me to be. The father that Zara needs. No lies, nothing but the truth, Rose."

"Maybe it is the right time and all the pieces are in the right place, eh?"

The close proximity between us makes my breathing alter, even after everything this man has put me through - the good and the bad- he still makes me nervous.

A kiss.

"I love you."

A breathe.

"I love you too."

the end.