Shelly - The Confrontation 6a

SIX-a

Shelly – The Confrontation

When Brit returned I was fuming. He told me the hug and kiss were friendly and nothing more.

"Do you love her more than me?"

"What are you asking? I do not love anyone but you."

"Then you are playing both of us."

Raising his voice, Brit said, "It was a brotherly hug and kiss on the cheek for watching Son of Dog! It was no big deal. You are blowing it out of proportion."

"I do not believe you!"

"That means you don't trust me!"

You are right, I do not trust you!"

Almost shouting, he said. "Then you need to leave, before I get mad!"

I stomped out of the building gritting my teeth! A few minutes later Brit was at our motel door. I told Daddy I did not want to talk with him. "She does not want to talk with you. There is nothing I can do when she is like this."

"Me either, I want you to know I did nothing wrong. It is her imagination. She heard a little bit of what Baxter had said to Chris and took it out of context. I cannot reason with her. She said she did not trust me. I told her that if she did not trust me she needed to leave.

I was angry. As soon as she left, I knew that I had made a mistake. I did not cheat on her, and never would. I love her anger and all that goes with the pain. It hurts me to think she hates me."

"I know, even though Ling Noy is not her biological mother, they are alike emotionally. When either of them are mellow, or are on a high, they are lovable and caring. But when they are on the low side they make life miserable. Sorry Brit."

"You are on Brit's side!"

"Yes, I believe him. You just messed up that man's life with your stubbornness. You are not a kid anymore. Your actions can devastate you forever.

You probably just lost the best partner you could ever have. With his athletic appearance, he will not be alone long, and you will be a bad memory. When you calm down, you'll realize you made a mistake. Then it will be too late to make amends."

In my heart, I knew Daddy was right, but anger overloaded my mind. I should have run after him and admitted my error. I was too ashamed of my actions, and to proud to admit my mistake.

The next day I went to his barracks to tell him I was sorry. Chris told me after returning from his morning run Brit left. He said, "Brit was bumping into things. His face had the look of death on it and was about to explode. What was done to him is a complete betrayal like a fatal kick to the head. I don't think he'll ever recover."

The tears flowed like a river. My stubbornness created a catastrophe.

"I do not know how to make it up to him."

"Seeing you and hearing your voice will be a great start. Maybe he went to see Son of Dog at my parent's house."

Chris' mom said, "Yes, he had been here, and picked up Son of Dog. He mentioned that he had to go on an important trip and was going to take the dog with him. He had a sadness about him like he did not care about anything."

"It's my fault. I broke up with him yesterday. I know it was wrong. I accused him of infidelity. He tried to talk to me last night, but I told Dad that I did not want to talk with him. Dad sent him away."

"Honey, sometimes we cannot take back what we said. Words can kill our spirits. I wish you the best, but it may be too late. He may end up hating you. It happens especially where a person has been wrongly accused."

She hugged me tightly before I left. My body was trembling. A chill affected me, and conflicting thoughts shot through my mind.