Shelly - Stark Reality 8a

EIGHT-a

Shelly – Stark Reality

Brit wrote, "Dear Shelly, you will probably not return this letter, but I have moved on. Barbara's cousin Deloris and I had our first date last night. I feel like I am floating in the clouds.

The work in my lab is moving as I expected. I have been elevated to Assistant Professor which calls for the rank as Captain. A state or private university will pay more, but the benefits in the Air Force are greater. Tell Mommy and Daddy that I miss them and hug Son of Dog for me. Your Friend, Brit."

I fled to mom's office to show her the letter. She said, "I know honey. Your Dad and I received a letter today from Brit informing us the same thing. We do not blame Brit. He deserves to be happy. You are a beautiful young woman, and you deserve to be content also."

Later, Daddy said, "I'm sorry, but you made a mistake when you told him that you didn't trust him. What he heard is you calling him a liar. That sounds like the things his Dad did while beating him. Those memories are still there. He has done everything he could to be a better person.

You have always been good for him, and he valued your opinion. That one time devastated him. He never expected you to turn on him. That scar will be burned in his memory forever. He will eventually forgive you, but the damage is already there. I wish the best for the both of you. I love you and I love him."

Brits research has saved the government millions of dollars, and industry millions more. He is an American hero. His gratuities from speaking events and royalties from books, movies and guest interviews is often more than his annual Air Force salary. He saves most of his money or puts it into savings bonds. If he was poor and loved me, I would be more than thankful.

He has moved up to number six in the world of FF. His muscular and youthful looks are the favorite of women around the world. He has been voted the most eligible bachelor by Life and Time magazines. They show pictures of him in his fighting shorts and bare chest.

Daddy says Brit is a genius. He has been to Thailand several times to meet with Mom, Dad and my sisters. He avoids me like I have a contagious disease. Son of Dog chases after him when he is home.

The few times he has seen me, he turns around, and I get a view of his back side. Brit does not run, away. It is as if the sight of me offends him. Is it time for me to cut my losses? Mom, Dad and Aunt Nang Chom told me to grow up, quit pouting and move on, but something inside speaks louder telling me not to give up.

I have vivid dreams about us at the altar exchanging vows. The vision is intense. It occurs at least three times a week. I hope that the imagination will come true. Maybe, it is a revelation of things to come?

He will be back in Chiang Mai in a few months. He is invited by Gaming Association of Thailand to an Invitational Elimination Fight using Muay Thai or FF techniques. There will be one hundred contenders. The top three will fight him.

Daddy says, "The Organization will pay Brit one million Baht ($50,000) to do the fight - win or lose. If someone beats him they will get a million Baht. If no one defeats him, the next place winner will receive two hundred thousand Baht ($10,000.) Places three and four will collect one hundred thousand Baht ($5,000) each.

Entry fees, admission and donations will go to help displaced war orphans. The coordinating group make their money from wagers. These betting parlors are legal in Thailand. They are regulated by the government, have public scrutiny and are audited with no prior notice.

My sister Salin On (สายลมอ่อน – Gentle Breeze) is getting married Sunday, two days after the fight. My other sister Dak Akura (ดอกซากุระ - Cherry Blossom) is Maid of Honor and I am the first bride's maid. We are step-sisters, but the three of us are closer than blood siblings. Brit is our beloved adopted big brother.

I pray for wisdom and understanding. It was summer break. The weather was cooler than usual. I hope Brit will talk with me!