Brit - Sad but New 7c

SEVEN-c

Brit – Sad but New

I agreed to go on a double date with Deloris, Barbara and Baxter. We went to see to see a emotional movie called the Sound of Music. Deloris was not as bashful as me. We sat in a dark part of the theater. She slipped her hand into mine and tightened her grip.

My mind was jumbled! There was no opportunity to start a conversation.

There was in intermission in the middle of the movie. Baxter and I went to get cokes and popcorn for the girls and ourselves. My buddy suggested we get a large popcorn and drink with two straws each. It scared me, but he said the girls will love it.

There was shakiness in my voice. Not to sound embarrassed, I nodded my head and forced a placid smile onto my face. He smiled back with a relaxed confidence. Everything in me was trembling.

Deloris took the popcorn, and I held the drink. Every minute or two she fed me two or three of the salted and buttered morsels. Between the eating, she cupped my hand holding the cup and pulled the straw to her lips. Our noses were brushing each other as we sipped from the straws protruding from the one hole on top of the drink. My insides rocketed.

The fifth swallow our lips touched lightly, and on the next try she had put her hand behind my head and pulled me to her mouth kissing me gently. Deloris' tongue was pressed into my mouth. A pleasant sensation of warmth, and saltiness startled me.

As she continued, I automatically responded by placing the drink in a cup holder, putting my arms around her and returned her kiss with a hunger that overwhelmed me. We held that position until the movie played again. The soda had become watered down with melting ice and the popcorn had fallen to the floor.

She developed a catlike smile. A relief from pain faded from my body, and a feeling of calm and excitement entered me. We missed the second half of the movie from being lip-locked and staring into the other's eyes. I slept solidly that night and the rest of the week. I experienced a tinge of regret about Shelly even though it was her choice.

The last two times business called me to Chiang Mai it was easy to avoid her. When she approached me, the pent-up resentment caused me to turn my back on her. I refused to listen to her excuses. I was not kind and now guilt has settled in my heart. Anger possessed me. Maybe we can be family again even if she does not care for me. Perhaps our bond of the five years we were together means something.

Salin On sent me an invitation to her marriage. She is marrying her high school love.

It was summer and I had a few weeks off before summer sessions were to begin. I will do my best to avoid Shelly.

I sweat abundantly even though it was cooler outside. The fluttering in my gut sent conflicting messages to me. My thoughts were galloping in several directions not finding any answer or solution.

Momma encouraged me to give Shelly another chance. I said, "I loved her with all my heart, but she chewed me up and spit me out like I was nothing but trash."