Brit - The Honor and Glory Part 20b

TWENTY-b

Brit – The Honor and Glory

At the parade Chris and twenty-two others were presented the Purple Heart. All the men of the special ops group received the Distinguished Service Medal. Chris was given the Air Force Cross. He was declared a son of Thailand and extended dual citizenship. Daddy presented him the rank of Major.

Several enlisted men in the unit were advanced a year in their Thai citizenship program. Group Sergeant Major Martin was moved forward two years. The Thai government issued a proclamation to all in the rescue unit to receive special commendations in battle for saving the lives of Thai citizens.

Chris was released from the hospital a few days later. Baxter told him that there was an opening for a squadron commander outside of Phuket. It was his if he wanted the job. The location and circumstance were totally different than Chiang Mai. Immigrants are typically escaping oppression or attempting to infiltrate over open ocean. Surveillance is accomplished with small single engine aircraft or older PT water vessels. The boats also are the primary rescue units.

"Before you make up your mind take a week to explore the base and surrounding area. Take Dak Akura with you. There is no housing on base. You commute from Phuket to work via a water shuttle that runs every thirty minutes. There is a community of small houses with three bedrooms for lease or sale where many officers and families reside."

Chris talked it over with Dak Akura, Momma, Shelly and me. Our sweet mother said, "We have penthouse suites at the Red Dragon Inn which is on the Southern coast of Phuket. The dock used to ferry to the military island is close by. The suite is really six two room apartments rolled into one unit. It is normally used to conduct business when we have a group from our corporate office in town. That week it will not be needed as the staff are assigned elsewhere."

I said, "I have some personnel matters to take care of including the appointment of the new squadron commander. Like Baxter told you it is totally different, but if you want to remain in Chiang Mai that is okay."

Dak Akura said, "I have been there with mom. It is one of the most beautiful locations in Thailand. Thai and English are spoken by most of the residents. Several of our cousins live in the city. The Red Dragon Inn is more like a resort than a hotel. Swimming, boating and beach exploring are wonderful. The local markets are excellent. There is enough variety to make it an amazing place!"

Chris and I flew Daddy's personal two engine Cessna 337-G Skymaster with our wives as passengers. The base was experiencing an influx of rescuing a raft fleeing from China and capturing two undersized water-craft full of Chinese. Regular Royal Thai Navy were in pursuit of the raft in Thai waters. There had been an exchange of gunfire and several of the Chinese military had been wounded.

We were able to visualize mission in action. The base personnel were interrogating the seamen and interviewing the refugees. I explained to Chris and the ladies that both groups would be treated well. Those fleeing and the ones in pursuit would be given a chance to become Thai citizens in similar but different five-year programs.