Brit - Fortunate to Be Part 31a

THIRTY-ONE-a

Brit – Fortunate to Be

My teeth were grinding while my pulse increased. My body tremors have vanished. Steven's chances of being killed would have been greater than before. My listening skills failed me? Insanity controlled my thoughts? Reasoning failed me. My assumptions did not happen.

My face was drooping toward the floor and fleeing away clouded my perception. Averting eye contact and rebuking myself in anger generated blindness. Gloom caused me to experience the lack of confidence. How can the blunder be erased? Why would Shelly love me for being the rear end of a donkey? My neck thickened, and my face reddened.

Shelly did not confront me. No scolding came from her lips. Her response did not tell me that she retained concerns. She smiled and hummed, "Stand by Your Man," in an off key.

I calculated that her explosion would eventually occur. It did not. She started to sing, "Love Me Tender, Love me Sweet. All my Dreams Fulfill." She came into the living room, clutched my hand, pulled me into the bedroom and shoved me onto the bed. Then she attacked me with her body.

An hour later Son of Dog scratched at the door while Song Brit shouted unlock the door, so we can come in and jump up and down on the bed. I unlocked and opened the entry way. They pounced on me, and I pulled the covers over my head.

Song Brit jumped on me and said, in proper British English, "I love Daddy, and Mommy too."

Lifting the covers from my head permitted me to say, "I love mommy, you two and Granny also. Go ask Granny if you and Son of Dog can go out and play."

"Granny, Daddy said to ask you if we can go out and play."

"Yes, but stay in the back yard, so I can watch you,"

Shelly and I watched them from the window run and jump on each other like Dog and I use to do. I was mellowing in those thoughts when Shelly tugged me by the hand back to bed.

Shelly and I caressed each other in a way that exhibited caring and deep feelings. The passion exhausted us until we fell asleep in each other's arms.

Little Brit was banging on the door and Son of Dog was growling that supper was ready. Shelly and I emerged crimson faced. Both dog and boy were excited to see us. Granny gave us a big smile as we entered the kitchen.

After supper Shelly and I drove to the Odell's. Steve was picking bruised tomatoes that would not be going to market. These tomatoes were still good enough to eat or can after cutting a discolored spot away. I went to talk with Steven'

Shelly found Anna canning tomatoes She steamed, sectioned, slashed out bad spots and filled jars with fresh tomato flesh. The sealed jars were places in a tub of boiling water. Steam from the jars pushed air out of the jars which re sealed themselves upon re-cooling.

I went to where Steve culled less than perfect tomatoes. "Steve, "How are you doing."

"Okay,"

"I mean since the Air Force retired you from active duty."

"Do you really want to know?

"Yes!"

"It is not as good as you would think."

"Why is that?"

"Because it is better than I might have ever dreamed."

"You're not bulling me?"

"It forced me to look at options that I would have never considered. Making ten times more a year than I would have made as an Air Force officer does not concern me. I am helping people face a better future. The products we make allows a mobility never anyone thought possible. Our companies provide jobs for one thousand people and supportive industry for several thousand more."

"Do you really feel that way?"

"I make decisions that touch a million lives a year. Only a few generals have that responsibility. Our research is discovering new products and methods daily. I do not have time to moan and groan. I love the Air Force and always will, but I am saving more lives than I could have in the Air Force. I am happy and feel good about who I am."

Anna's Dad retired and I am Chief elder of the village. I am living in paradise.