Shelly - New Husband - New Family Part 18a

EIGHTEEN-a

Shelly – New Husband – New Family

There had always been children around Momma's house and in the neighborhood. Song Brit has not slept in his room. Sometime during the night, he wanders into our room or Grandma Yai Yeem's room. Early morning before light he was sound asleep between the two of us. We did not hear him plop on the bed. Son of Dog was on the bed at the lad's feet.

Brit kicked the dog in the process of getting up. He lifted his head up, looked at us, yawned, laid his head back down and quietly groaned. Brit was shaving. The dog and the boy were looking up at him with big smiles on their faces. He patted both of them on the head. They went into the kitchen where Grandma Yai Yeem was in the process of cooking breakfast.

When Brit and I entered the kitchen, little Brit had finished half of his frosted flakes and sat the bowl on the floor. With two laps of his tongue Son of Dog had devoured its contents and left a clean dish.

A Chiang Mai newspaper reported Brit and I had adopted a son. There were pictures of little Brit and Son of Dog playing in the yard. The next day two men attempted to kidnap the boy and hold him for ransom. Two security guards foiled their effort.

That day when Brit was informed about the endeavor he went into a rage. He stormed out of the house and got into his jeep. I hopped in before he pulled out of the driveway. We arrived at the paper in a few minutes. I shook his shoulders before we departed from the vehicle.

I said, "I know what you want to do, but the writer of that article is not worth what you are planning to do. I don't want you going to jail because you killed a scumhead."

Brit calmed by the time we reached the editor's office. Mr. Rawlings, the editor, saw us coming, and impeded us from going after the writer. I said, "Sir, I respect your paper, but the article written about our son almost caused him to be kidnapped or killed."

"I'm sorry Mrs. Matthews. It is partially my fault. I did not review his article before it went to print. Please have a seat. I will be back in a moment."

We heard him screaming at another man. "You idiot! Don't you know that you almost got a kid killed because of your article. His daddy would have the right to tear your head from your body and stomp on it if his boy was killed, and no judge would fault him. The only thing you can do is to apologize to Mrs. and Mr. Matthews and pledge never to put another child in jeopardy."

The writer came into the editor's office and said, "I'm sorry for being so thoughtless. Forgive me. I promise not to hurt anyone again."

I nudged Brit and he said, "I believe you are sorry! Let this be a lesson. If my wife had not calmed me down, or if she was not a forgiving woman you would probably be a dead man. I do not make any threats, but I love my family."

"Yes sir. Thank you very much."

Mr. Rawlings turned to Brit and said, "Mr. Matthews if you want me to fire him I will.

"No, I hope he has learned to be more careful in the future. He probably has a wife and family to feed."

"Thank you again Sir."

Brit grunted and smiled. He clasped my hand, and we walked out of the office. There was no article in the paper the next day about the attempted kidnapping.