Brit - The Uncertainty 9a

NINE-a

Brit – The Uncertainty

I could tell by the baffled composure of her glare that what I said to Shelly was comparable to a smack with a power punch. The pain was difficult for me to witness. I knew I loved her, but the mistrust issue was piercing my mind and heart more than I could bear.

Tears disrupted my thoughts, and the anger had faded. Something was missing, but what? She had been my confidant when I needed a friend to talk through a difficulty. A void was created without her.

Deloris is my friend, but the closeness is not there when I need someone to listen. She wants us to take our relationship to the next level and be an exclusive couple. I am not dating anyone else, but there is another male friend she sees occasionally.

Baxter received his commission and is on orders to go to Kelly Field for Cargo Transport Training. He and Barbara are getting married next week. Chris is in his last year at the Academy. His Cadet First Class year is finally here. After pilot school he is hoping to transfer to Chiang Mai to be with Dak Akura.

I have many friends. None as close as I was with Shelly. Perhaps I will never be that attached with another person again. My students have always been Cadets Second Class (Juniors) and Cadets First Class (Seniors.)

The surrounding universities and colleges will be sending some of their Seniors and Graduate students to my classes. A Million Dollar Grant will be paying for the integration program. The University of Illinois will send two Doctoral Graduate assistants to learn and assist me with instruction.

I am honored, but that will substantially increase my workload. The Doctoral candidates will help with the increased responsibility. The classes in the past have helped me produce a workbook for the program. It is a work in progress.

I had a request from the Commandant's office to report to him at 1000 hours. I am not aware of any problems. It is still a week before fall classes start. Maybe the grant money has not come through, and we must trim our program.

Usually I wear a lab-coat, but the invitation indicated that my attire was to be dress blues. I reported to the command clerk that I had an appointment with General Green. "Please have a seat. You are a few minutes early. He will call for you in about five minutes."

The chairs were Victorian plush Air Force blue. Two Generals entered before me. The sounds from the administrator's office itself were festive like a cocktail party was taking place. A booming angry voice came from the inter-com, "Have Captain Matthews come in please."

"Yes Sir!" The noise went to an eerie quietness.

"Sir, Captain Matthews reporting as ordered, Sir!" I saluted as he pointed for me to be seated in the elegant arm chair in front of his desk. Turning around to take the seat permits me to see a dozen Generals including my Dad and two of my uncles Jerry Lee and John. Also present were Mom, Aunt Nang Chom, Dak Akura and Shelly.

"Son! We have committed three errors relating to the undertakings this morning:

First mistake" – Then the General presented me with a brass plaque with these words engraved, "In honor of Professor Major Britten Matthews for whom this endowed chair is named."

"Look at your shoulder epaulettes and tell me what is wrong. General Matthews can you help me make the correction needed?" Daddy came and removed my Captain Bars and Uncle Jerry Lee replaced them with the gold Major oak leaves.

"Second fault – If you noticed the inscription does not say Associate Professor. That is because by the power of the faculty and me you are granted the position of full Professor.

Third blunder – Essentially, in order to obtain the rank of Major at your age, you must have had command and combat experience. We will rectify that.