Shelly - Too Late 6b

SIX-b

Shelly – Too Late

Baxter told me that Brit had taken a leave. He did not know his destination. Daddy said we had to make several stops on our way back to Chiang Mai. A problem at Clark AFB concerned the refurbishing of several C-130 JX Rescue planes. That problem cost us three days. Nine days had expired before we arrived at Chiang Mai.

Ling Noy indicated that Brit's plane left three minutes earlier. She said he had a distraught look when leaving Chiang Mai, but left Son of Dog with us. Daddy had put a call through to him, but it kept ringing with no answer.

Brit called the house, but I was with several school mates shopping. We both tried to phone each other to no avail. I received a letter which read, "I love you deeply, but I do not know where we are in our relationship. Write me soon. Are you still mad at me? Love you much, Brit."

I wrote him I loved him very much, and said I was sorry for the mess I caused. A month passed before another letter came. "I have not received any letters from you. I guess you are holding on to your anger. I am sorry to bother you. I still love you, but evidently it is one way. Love you, Brit."

I wrote him saying I had written him earlier, but the letter had been delayed or lost. I penned, "I loved you with all my heart, and miss you desperately. Love, Shelly. A few days later I read in the Chiang Mai Daily, "Mail being delayed to the United States because it has been intercepted by the Communists in Laos and Burma, but APO mail from military personnel has not been interrupted.

I wrote a letter to Brit, and asked Daddy to mail it with his military address. He said he would. A few days later Dad came home and reported that the plane with my letter had been shot down. All the crew are presumed dead or missing.

I attempted one last try. I prepared a letter and set it on the little table where the phone resided. Again, I expressed my love and explained the difficulty with the mail. The next day I noticed the letter had disappeared. Daddy had taken it with him to be mailed through the APO system.

However, the next letter from Brit stated, "Dear Shelly, I still love you and always will. My friend Baxter and Barbara are getting married. I am going to be his best man. They are trying to match me up with her Maid of Honor who is her cousin Deloris. I told them that I still was in love with you, even though you chose not to contact me. Maybe it is hopeless, and I do not need to waste my time. You probably already have another boyfriend and have forgotten that I exist. SORRY ABOUT US. Your former friend, Brit." My heart sank.

There were two drops of water stains or tears on the letter. It had been written a month ago. I cried all night long. I know I started the rift between us. Now it seems like the relationship is broken.

Daddy warned me. How could I have been so dumb? I did not listen when Brit was pouring his heart out to me and begging me not to break up with him. Evidently our destiny is never to be together. I did not trust him. Now, he does not have confidence in me. I despise myself. Life is at its lowest point. Will we ever get back together?