Hamburger or Soggy Toast Part 13b

THIRTEEN-b

Hamburger or Soggy Toast

Momma, Aunt Nang Chom and Shelly have talked me into doing an advanced defense class at the Society of Respected Mothers Garden Club.

I began, "Ladies many of you know me by my fighting name "Smooth Thunder." Today I am going to tell you how I got that name. In my junior year of high school my uncles taught me how the wrestlers in America fake an injury in the ring. First, they look stunned. Secondly, they stumble around the ring with sad faces like they are going to fall. Sometimes the combatant will act as if he has passed out.

The opponent thinks, "I have really hurt this guy," and loosens up on the next punch permitting the pretender an advantage. Thai boxers refer to it as Nua Dein (เนื้อดิน – hamburger or ground beef.) The adversary's next punch or hit will be slower and softer. The look is also referred to as Cunom Pangnōōm Nam (ขนมปังน้ำ – water bread or soggy toast.)

I have acted like that several times. My uncles were going to call me Hamburger Man or Soggy Toast. I protested. They settled on SMOOTH THUNDER. We will practice the procedure and follow it up with a groin kick, pull down or eye gouge. Some use it with an adam's apple crunch or slice." The women chuckled.

Our session went well. Momma and Shelly said that they had seen me use that stunt several times in fights." The trainees practiced their methods with enthusiasm! I informed them that it will get their assailant off-guard and give them a time advantage when protecting themselves.

The Think Tank

My Quam Suk (มีความสุข- Blessedness,) and (ล้ำค่า – Precious) met with me before the meeting to explain the purpose of the gathering today. The placement of several production centers was an issue. The data of population centers, resources and available workers were published in a small booklet. Maps with road types, bus itineraries, rail routes and air service were included.

Reading all the material provided gave a good understanding of the complexity of the opportunities available. In a half hour we had a detailed plan ready to present to the larger group. A brochure highlighting all the major components was prepared for each member of the committee.

The information was there for anyone to collect, but these two dedicated women did the research. They were able to sift through massive statistics, and extract the essential figures needed to promote massive industrialization in Issan. I did not teach them, but they used my methods to get there. Their actions swelled my chest. My stomach tightened.

Even though are older than me, I claim them to be my daughters. Their ability and perseverance sustain my faith. It does not make a difference where you are born, or who your parents were, but your determination and capability will drive you to the top.

Son of Dog greeted me at the door witha mop of his tongue across my face. He made me realize it is the simplefixations that propel us to greater things. This royal mutt is the secondgreatest thing in my life. He replaced the hole in my heart when Dog died.Shelly comes first, but the canine and Momma are next. I am fortunate. I didnot pick them. They chose me.