Shelly - Blinded by Love 10a

TEN-a

Shelly – Blinded by Love

Ten years have passed since Brit Hatton stole my sister's lunch. At first, I hated him. Then I saw something in his eyes that reminded me of myself. My real mother did not want me. I interfered with her nocturnal activities. She would palm me off at neighbor's houses, or at my grandparents who could not even take care of themselves.

She was vindictive. She lied about Dad not being my father to the court, and that she was innocent of adultery, because he came home early one day and discovered her in bed with his best friend. In her mind, it was my Dad's fault.

Momma looked at me like she hated me, and that I was the main burden she had in life. Even when she was dying from cancer, she would not tell him I was his daughter.

Brit's father did not care about him. When his Momma ran away from home, his daddy blamed his eleven year old son. He was drunk most of time. His Daddy duties were absent. He did not take care of his son emotionally or financially.

The boy rummaged for food and clothing. He eventually stole lunches at school. Fear and survival provoked him to be a kid criminal. He hated his life. Existence had deserted him. He was lost, but he connected with me, because I was the only one who cared enough to whip his wretched behind.

Under the guise of wanting to learn to fight like me was a plea for help. My Dad and adopted Mom understood that before I did, and their hearts went out to him.

He developed into a wonderful young man. My parents are as proud of him as they are of my sisters, brother and me. I blew my relationship with him when I accused him of something he did not do.

It cost the two of us three years of needless agony. Assuming something without checking the facts was a solemn error. Once the allegations are made, you can't take them back. I have learned to keep quiet until I know for sure whether it is right or wrong. It is better to ask soft questions. Assume the answers are true. I loosened up when he declared his love for me. The agony and self-loathing disappeared!

We danced most of the night at the ball. His touch electrified my body. Awareness of life was everywhere I went. A breeze that flowed across the back of my neck told me not to worry. The smile I had encouraged me all day long. Every sense within me produced a clarity of thought. All my family noticed the difference. My truelove has recognized me again as his soulmate.

My sister and I are going silly over our Air Force Men. Both are international fighters, and they care about others. Chris and Brit are the best of friends. Dak Akura's fellow is in his last year at the Academy. Then they have plans to go to Air transport school. He is hoping to get based in Chiang Mai after flight training. Dad may help. A Major General has a little pull.

Brit is an inactive reserve member of the RTAF. He holds dual citizenship in Thailand and the United States, and so do I. It is an honor extended to Daddy and his family. It makes travel and living in the two countries easy. Thinking about it causes me to breathe deep. The smile on my face speaks loudly that Colorado has given me a new and better viewpoint on life. My whole body is relaxed. It is colder here, but I remember the winters in New Jersey.

Brit will be surprised when he comes back from his mission to Northwest Thailand. Dad says my heart throb will be gone two to five weeks. That seems like a lifetime. He does not know that Dak Akura and I are remaining in Colorado. We are registered as graduate students at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs branch.

Both of us are attending his classes. His assistants are teaching his class-load while he is in Thailand with duties like a Marine or Army officer. His aircraft are muffled C-47s because the C-130JX8s take more landing and take-off room. Additionally, a company of Marine Stealth Helicopters are temporarily assigned to him for rescue. A shaky feeling permeates my insides.