Part 15: Electronics And 'Promotion'

25 February 2008

9am

3rd Person POV

Y/N has successfully applied for the job of Software Engineer in the GROM. In charge of the electronics, Y/N makes sure that all electronics in the elite unit works perfectly. Funnily enough, he has been made fun of by other operators in the GROM, being told of as having a useless job, since surprisingly almost no one comes in for tech support. On the bright side, he does have lots of free time to play Pokemon the entire day, as well as modify his gadget.

"Ah you must be the new comer, Y/N eh?"A voice called to Y/N, sitting behind the desk busy fighting a gym leader. "Yes I am, you are?" Y/N asked, preparing to draw his RG15 against these suspicious people. "Allow me to introduce ourselves, we are part of a 3-man Italian R&D team on a grenade launcher. You see, we are developing a new style of grenade launcher that we are supposed to assemble today, but our coder and electronics guy is not here today. We heard that you are good with electronics and stuff, so we would like to request for your assistance, since you supposedly have free time." One asked. "We can treat you to dinner tonight if you want." His partner tried to bargain. Y/N began considering their request. "Alright, I do not need the dinner since it is my job as Tech support. I will you help you out, just let me beat this Gym Leader first. (Priorities amirite)" Y/N accepted the deal. "Aight, meet you in the workshop." The one supposedly in charge answered with a smile, before the team left for the workshop. "Isn't Pokemon for kids?" His partner said under his breath. "Quiet, at least he is helping us with the project." The in-charge answered.

Y/N has finished his battle, heading towards the workshop. With all the parts ready, the trio began assembling the grenade launcher. Like a puzzle, they made sure not a single piece was lost, since parts were hard to come by and expensive. After an hour, the trio had finished assembling the double-barreled 40mm grenade launcher."Could you tell me more about the launcher."Y/N asked. "Using electronically triggered projectile technology that can fire impact ammunition. Reloading is no longer necessary, since each impact grenade is in its own barrel." One of the Italians explained.Loading it with custom-made impact grenades, the partner aimed the launcher at a concrete wall, before pulling the trigger. Nothing came out of the barrel, so he placed the weapon on safety. Unloading the weapon, Y/N attached it to his laptop. Analyzing the program code, Y/N noticed multiple errors in it, mostly amateur mistakes. Informing the Italians, Y/N immediately corrected the wrongs, before unplugging the grenade launcher. He aimed down sights, before pulling the trigger, the Italians hiding behind a work desk in case of mishaps. An impact grenade shot out, making a loud 'boom' sound followed by a new big hole. Switching it to the next barrel, Y/N launched another grenade at the concrete wall, making another hole of the same size. "It works, thank the heavens"One Italian praised. ' I did most of the shit and not a single thanks is given two me.' Y/N thought. "Actually, I feel that the design is a little pathetic. One grenade to each barrel is such a waste." Y/N commented. "Then what do you think we need to do to make it better,smart-ass." The other Italian asked, seemingly pissed, before being nudged to not be angry. "Let me do some modifications to it." Y/N suggested, before putting the launcher back on the workbench, reconnected to his laptop.

Y/N pulled out a Grzmot Mine that he took from Ela, beginning to modify it into a small grenade package. Making 4 of them, Y/N proceeded with modifying the code on the laptop, testing the launcher with dry-firing. Once done, Y/N began loading the 2 impact grenades in one barrel, the 4 concussive grenades into the  other. "Are you crazy?! You are gonna blow up the launcher by loading more than one projectile in each barrel, hurting yourself." One of the Italians warned, more concerned of the launcher than Y/N's life. "Enjoy the shop."Y/N replied with a smirk, before taking aim at the concrete wall. Y/N fired the two impact grenades, suprising the Italians since no sound of switching barrels were heard between the blasts. Y/N switched to the barrel filled with concussive grenades, before aiming at the Italians and pulling the trigger. With no time to react, the Italians saw the arc path of the grenade, it detonating mid-air and concussing them. Y/N was treated to a dictionary of Italian swear words, before they realize the grenade launcher's new function. "How did you do that?" One asked. "Simple, since the projectiles were fired using electronic signals, they can be fired from they same barrel in sequence just with changes to the code, so no time is wasted switching barrels. Also, these concussive grenades contains a proximity sensor, detonating when it is close to a person, or when it is out of the barrel for a certain amount of time, whichever comes first." Y/N explained. "Alright, it has been designated as the KS79, would you like to name it?"One Italian asked. Y/N thought deeply, thinking about the time Zofia helped protect Y/N during the kidnapping case, or when he got Ela and the Navy SEALs out of their restraints. "Lifeline, call it Lifeline." Y/N requested. "Splendid name choice, all we need now is a test firer to showcase it this afternoon." The Italian praised. "Don't worry, I got one in mind."Y/N assured. "Good, now if you excuse us, we will head for brunch, tell the test-firer to meet us at the range at 1pm." The other Italian answered, before the two power-walked to the canteen, leaving Y/N with the mess.