Part 38: Mazurek Dąbrowskiego

16 January 2017

8 am

Hereford Base

Y/N was by the workshop, tinkering his gadget. "If I up the speed from 900 rpm to 1200 rpm, I should be able to deploy faster. Can the motor take it though?" Y/N said to himself. Lots of things have changed. Assisting Mute in his date with a mega Popstar was huge for the quiet man, but with his help, Mute managed to impress his date. Hopefully, they will appreciate each other.

Y/N continued with his soldering iron, before sealing up and testing his modifications. With a click of a button, the Snake Eye drilled through a test reinforced wall with ease, producing some sparks. Once that was over, the cover blew off, giving camera feed to Y/N. Satisfied with his work, Y/N removed his gadget and storing it back.

Pulling out his wallet, he opened to reveal a passport-sized photo, containing him holding baby Jane in his arms. Wiping the photo's cheek, he gave a small smile and short prayer, hoping for his daughter's safety.

"Wcześnie wstałeś," Zofia called out to her husband by the doorway, arm on her hip. Dressing smartly in her uniform, she was accompanied by Ela, her green hair messy, half-awake eyes, and still in pyjamas, giving out a yawn. "Dzień dobry, kochani." Y/N greeted, putting away his wallet. "They don't call me Rainbow's Electronic Engineer for nothing."

Zofia: I have two announcements to make.

Ela and Y/N: Which is.

Ela: If it isn't important I'm going back to bed.

Zofia: Firstly, Fluorine and D will be joining Team Rainbow. Six consulted both me and Ash for their application, and it seems to be approved by the Polish side with ease.

Y/N: That's good. Probably because of Ludomil wanting our squad out for so long, giving up important positions to them.

Ela: More friendly faces to shoot in training, that is good.

Zofia: Don't get cocky.

Ela: I'm the best Defender Rainbow has, why would I worry.

Y/N: Back to the second announcement?

Zofia: Right. We can finally return to ojczyzna.

Ela: Finally.

Y/N: ...what?

Zofia: I asked Six for some time off. We deserve a good break after serving for so long. With your Corrective Work Order done, leaving for a visit to home shouldn't be an issue. 2 weeks to relax and go back to civilian life.

Y/N's eyes welled up, the thought of home finally lit a spark in his tired mind. Being a father, instinctively trying to protect his daughter was natural. Finally able to see her face-to-face without a screen is finally a reality.

Y/N: Yes...thank you.

Zofia: No, we all deserve this.

Ela: Yeah, I want to be with my niece too.

Zofia: Could you handle the transition, being a mother is different from being a soldier.

Ela: Meh. I've seen Iraq.

Zofia: Well, pack up, we are heading back in 2 hours. But bring the uniforms, Six requested us to be operationally ready at all times.

Y/N: *salutes playfully* Yes Madam!

The 3 had a short chuckle before packing up.

Timeskip brought to you by Y/N carrying Jane on his shoulders as they walk through a city, with Ela in her elite skin.

3 pm.

Poland.

After touching down on fatherland's soil and claiming baggage, the trio took a cab back. Bypassing some landmarks, some memories were being brought back in Y/N's mind. The lake where he fished with Ela, the road he walked back from school with Zofia, and many more memories. Time was fast, and soon they were back at their childhood town.

The taxi began stopping, signalling their proximity to home. As it halts, Y/N took a deep breath. All the missions had dehumanized him quite a lot, will he be able to be father, will he scare his child? Both of his hands were clutched hard by his partners, showing that both Ela and Zofia are with him to face the hardships together. Exhaling, they began disembarking, taking out their luggage from the taxi, making their way. The distance to the door was short, but travelling felt like an eternity. Y/N was still having his mind flooded with questions, is he a good parent, was the bloodshed worth it? Halfway on the path, the door flies open, giving the trio a sense of shock. A flash ran out of the door, before gripping onto Y/N's leg tight.

Jane: Papa, welcome back! Ah, mama, ciotka!

Y/N burst into tears, instinctively hugging his daughter, as the Bosak sisters gathered around and kneel near their daughter, also joining in.

Pa: Look who finally came back.

Y/N looked to the door, to see his parents by the doorway, standing proud for their son.

Mom: Welcome back, son.

 Y/N: Yes, Dobrze jest wrócić.

The family of 4 released from each other's hug, as they went into the building, knowing that they are back in home, sweet, home.