Part 23: Bittersweet

In the middle of an operation

9 July 2010

Poland

10 am

The GROM Team was in the middle of a crackdown operation on an armed vice ring. Having eliminating most of the hostiles, the last one ran towards the roof, holding a duffel bag full of money and a TEC-9. Giving chase, the team of 4 cornered the armed fugitive to the edge of the roof, holding each other at gunpoint.

Muszla: Give it up, we got you surrounded, you will break your legs if you jump of the building.

Fluorine: We can give you a more lenient sentence if you surrender.

Hostile: You think I believe in such shit. I still have to go to jail, when I can have so much money.

Assault rifles and machine guns pointing at him, outgunning his single pistol. There was an intense standoff, no one showing mercy towards each other, beads of sweat rolling down their faces under the hot sun.

Zofia suddenly crouched to the ground, nauseous and light-headed, with attempted vomiting coming from her like she has eaten something wrong.

Wasp: Zo!

Hostile: Long live the White Mask.

The hostile opened fire on the distracted Wasp, Wasp taking the shots to his bulletproof vest. as his team returned fire, eliminating the hostile. The body ragdolled to the ground, the duffel bag opening to show stacks of cash.

Wasp still was suffering the pain of a few bullets, his team providing First Aid to the husband and wife.

Muzsla: Requesting for two ambulances ASAP.

Timeskip brought to you by Ela emptying her 50 round magazine, aceing the enemy team and killing Y/N in the process. 

Y/N was in the emergency room. His bullet resistant did tank most of the bullets, but it still hurt. The doctor was treating the cuts on his arm from stray bullets, before bandaging him up. Thanking the doctor for his service, Y/N emerged from the curtains, joining Muszla and Fluorine.

Muszla: How is it, Wasp?

Y/N: I am fine, the doctor said it didn't look severe. The cut has been disinfected, so I just to make sure I clean the wound. How is Zofia?

Fluorine: She is still in the emergency room. Anyways, the mission was a success. The higher-ups have ordered for us to return back to base. You two have the day off, we will return your weapons to the base.

Y/N: Thanks a lot. See you around, bye.

The group bid their farewells, before going separate ways. Y/N remained in the hospital, sitting on the chair as he waited worriedly about Zofia.

The doctor emerged from the curtains, revealing Zofia lying on the emergency room's bed, exhausted from the operation. Y/N stood up, greeting the doctor.

Y/N: Lekarz, how is my wife?

Lekarz: There is nothing wrong with her. While you wait, I would like you to bring your wife to this doctor here. *passes a slip of paper*

Y/N: Thank you, doctor. *heads to Zofia* Are you alright, honey?

Zofia: Just fatigued.*stands up* What did the doctor say?

Y/N: He recommended us to this doctor here. Let us go now.

The couple proceeded from the emergency room towards the destination. They passed by a few maternity wards, a room for newborns and a playgroom for child patients. They stood out from the crowd through their GROM uniform, heading towards their destination while getting started from everyone.

The couple entered their destination, greeting the doctor. The doctor instructed Zofia to lie on a bed, making the two confused at the situation, but following along.

Applying some gel on Zofia's belly, the doctor began scanning her with ultrasound. A black and white image appeared on the screen.

"Beep. Beep. Beep." Went the display, making Zofia shocked. Y/N was still confused before looking at the display closer. Something could be seen beating, inside Zofia's belly. Y/N added two plus two together.

Doctor:Congratulations, you are pregnant.

Zofia processed the words a bit, before tearing with joy. Y/N finally understood the situation, they were gonna be parents.

Zofia: I did miss my period recently, that explains the nausea I felt during the mission.

Doctor: Judging from your uniform, you must have a very active job. I would suggest Mrs Brzyski here to take leave from it for the time being.

Y/N: I understand, thank you Sir.

After their thanks and receiving a print out of the ultrasound, the couple exited the room. Zofia jumped with joy, hugging her husband.

Zofia: OH MY GOD WE ARE GOING TO BE PARENTS WHAT DO I DO.

Y/N: Calm down, we will be good parents. There is still time to prepare. Lets go tell the good news.*rubs belly* Papa knows what he is doing.

The two made their way to the taxi stand, heading for the Brzyski's residence. Bursting with joy, they don't know how to handle the news.

At the Brzyskis' residence, the ciuple marched to the doorway, ringing the doorbell. Being greeted by Mother Brzyski.

Mother: Y/N! Zofia! So sudden, come in, come in. *insert father name here*, your son and daughter-in-law is here to greet you.

Thw two took their seats in the living room, joined by Y/N's parents.

Father: Y/N, it has been a while. What happened to your arm?

Y/N: A mission went slightly wrong, I'm fine, and it was a success.

Mother: Y/N, you need to take care of yourself. We worry of your safety in the GROM.

Y/N: I will. Anyway, we came to give you something.

Father: You should have told us you were coming, we would be better prepared. Besides, you should be...

Zofia:*cuts off the conversation with an envelope*

Father: What is so important?*opens envelope and sees a black picture* what is this?

Y/N: ...

Zofia: ...

Mother: Wait a minute.

Father: I don't get it.

Y/N: You want dziadek or dziad.

Mother:*sudden realisation* OH MY GOD.

Father: *thought train* Oh yeah, another addition to the family. And that old fortune teller said I won't have a huge family, he cam kiss his career goodbye.*hugs Y/N*

Zofia: 'I think the slow realisation is a family thing, but it is cute'.

Mother: Another addition to the Bryzskis. Don't worry Zofia, I can teach you how to be a good mother.

The family conversed for a little more about parenthood, before the couple leaved the house, hoping to inform the Bosak Family Head about the news.

Zofia:*phone rings* Hang on. *Answers*

Zofia's smile wiped away from her face, tears began falling from her eyes. All her happiness seem loke it was replaced. She hung up the phone before covering her face with her hands.

Y/N: Honey, what's wrong?

Zofia: My... My father... is dead.