Part 19: Cracks

Ela has been left out for a while, so here is some of her side of the story

August 2000

Ela's POV

Math and Science is such a drag, why do others take Algebra like a piece of cake while it feel like a boss battle for me. Others have loving mothers and fathers, but well... mine wears a mask when we are outside. Everytime Zo got good grades, she was treated with smiles and gifts. Whenever I got good grades, it was a simple pat on the back, and words to be more like my sister. Can't he see that I am also his daughter, even though my grades were not as great. I can feel the love from my sister,but I sometimes wonder is it a facade to make fun of me. Y/N was more equal, treating me better than my father and equal to Zofia. If only he was still around.

???:Ela, you alright?

A voice stopped my train of thought. It was Zofia.

Ela: I'm fine,siostra,just stressed about homework.

Zofia: I know something that will cheer you up, wanna learn how to fight?

Ela:If it keeps my stress out, then lets do it.

The two of us proceeded outside in the backyard. Placing some mattress on the ground, us sisters took position at opposing end. On Zofia's call, we two engaged in sparring. I delivered blows while Zofia did hers, majority of the time I was blocked and received all her attacks. Zofia pinned me to the ground, forcing me to give in. Picking me up,Zofia began critiquing my attacks. She went through from my stances to finger positions to viewing angle. Absorbing all her comments, I readied myself up for another round. Zofia did the countdown again, before round 2 kicked off. I could feel I was getting better, delivering more blows while suffering lesser blows. It was good for a while,before getting pinned the ground and tap out. I adjusted myself before taking a seat on the mattress, panting the exercise. Exercise is a good way to destress, I forgotten all about the homework stress.

Zofia came back with two bottles of water,passing me one before sitting to beside me. "Good improvement, siostra. Just need a little more training amd you can even go against me." Zofia praised. Taking another sip of the bottle, I reflected on my life, before turning back to Zo. "I wish I could ne like you,sister. The smarts as well as the moves,I envy you."I said with a sigh. "You can do better,Ela. There is still a long way to improve,relax." Zofia encouraged, letting me smile slightly.

"Why are you two so sweaty?" A voice called out. It was our father, standing on the porch arms crossed." Get back in and bathe! Especially you Ela, I know you have not completed your homework." "Yes papa."Us sisters replied, before keeping the mattress. These times with Zofia were good to have, but since Zofia is busy I can't really bother her too much, these rare moments do give me some family warmth.

2002

6pm

My face swung to the side. My father's incessant yelling was filling my ear after giving me one tight slap. " 17 years old, why could you do something so dishonorable. Making me and your sister look bad." Father yell.  "What was I suppose to do. People were constantly making fun of me for being your daughter. Do you know that? People looked down on me for my difficulties. Breaking my possessions and playing with my hair, I had enough. He deserved the beat-down." I argued, trying to stand up for myself. Father was pissed, giving me another slap in the opposite direction." You dare talk back while still in the wrong. You are suppose to be as good as your sister, but you got expelled from the school. You have disappointed me too much, making our family lose face. Go to your room, and reflect what you did." Father scolded. Speechless, I proceeded to my room. Usually Zofia would back me up, but she was currently serving in the military, away from home. Father always showed favoritism to Zofia, almost forgetting I am his daughter, but whenever I do everything wrong, he gives me Hell 2.0 . That would be most of the attention I get from him, but I put up with it, he is my father. Sitting on my bed, I glanced at a photo of childhood. Y/N, Zofia  and I, smiling ear to ear after our intense session of sparring. I miss those old days, when I could be carefree of the real world. 

It was a few hours after I got the earful. I descended to the living room, wanting to patch up ties with him. He may not be a good father to me, but he is my father. Halfway down the stairs, I could hear his voice, with a tone of sadness and drunk. Peaking from the stairs, I could see Father holding a bottle of vodka, tears flowing down from his eyes as he rubbed his wedding photo. "Oh *insert Mother's name here*, I should have stopped you from having a second child with you. Look at what she turned out to be, a disgrace to our family. If she did not appear, we would still have you, dear, our family would have been much happier." Father cried. Hearing those words, I ran to my room. To think that I technically killed my mother, I fell into a state of being lost.Crying my room did not help the situation, but it felt like it.

A few months later 

I couldn't take the stress of going to a military high school, not going there felt better,but I was transferred to a local high school due to not attending. I decided it was best to leave the family, to be independent. After graduation, my application for a Fine Arts course in Berlin, packing everything up, before wanting to leave. Clutching my luggage, I proceeded for the front door. "Where do you think you are going?" My father's voice was heard, coming from the sofa. "Father, my application in Berlin has been accepted, I will be leaving for it today."I replied "You are not an artist, you are a proud Bosak, known for our efforts in the military." Father proclaimed. "You have Zofia, you did not treat me like family." I argued, slightly fearing my father. "Wow, think that being 17 you are now an adult, talking back at me. If you exit the door, you are no longer my daughter." Father threatened. Flinching at first, I clutched my luggage and exited the door, closing the door behind me flagging a taxi.

On the taxi ride, I reflected on my decision to leave the house. Was my decision to rash. I have always wanted independence, but was it worth the argument. My independent life to start anew begins today, sorry Sis and Y/N.

2007

It was the second day of Y/N's arrival in Iraq for our operation. I just finished my shooting on the range, sitting on the ground to admire the sky. It felt peaceful unlike the time in school, peer pressured to be as good as my sister or father.

???:Elizbieta, catch.

I turned around, to see Y/N decked out with weapons, throwing a small object towards me. Catching it with my hand. It was a bar of Prince Polo. Y/N settled beside me, as the two of us open up the candy wrapper. Biting into the chocolate, the sweetness of it relieved the stress from my time in Iraq temporarily, also the sense of home coming back.

Y/N:So what is a girl like you doing in a place like this.

Ela:Hey, don't make me sound so defenseless.

Y/N:Miss home, I do slightly.

Ela: Its only a day after you arrive, and you already got Stage 4 Homesickness. I don't, I feel at peace within this area.

Y/N:Hostiles and fighting make you at peace?

Ela: Chaos is my home, and I love it.

Y/N: I won't judge you,but do take care of yourselves, the environment is very different from Poland. I will be by your side as much as I can to protect you.

1