los padres y la abuela

Brittany's Point of View (Haha, told you it was coming.)

"Okay," Santana sits next to me on the couch, "the cupcakes are done and in the fridge."

While Santana's parents left to go pick her Abuela up, we cooked chicken, white rice, and asparagus. And then Santana baked cupcakes with rainbow icing on top (lmao, do you get it?)

I look up from my phone and over at Santana who's bouncing her knee, something she does when she's nervous. I reach out and place my hand on her knee and she stops and looks at me.

"You got this." I say and she nods, "It's gonna be okay."

As she opened her mouth to say something, the front door opens and her parents walk in with her Abuela. Santana jumps up and runs over to her Abuela who she adores dearly.

"Abuela," Santana pulls her into a hug, "I've missed you so much."

Her Abuela kisses Santana on the cheek, "Yo también te extrañé." (I missed you too.)

Santana and her parents speak fluent Spanish while I can only understand. I took Spanish classes in eighth grade and all the way up to our Junior year of high school and the only thing I learned was how to listen. Listening was much easier for than speaking.

"Hi Mrs. Lopez," I say awkwardly to her Abuela when they walk over to where I'm sitting

"Brittany, qué te dije?" (Brittany what did I tell you?) her Abuela asks and I give her a confused look. I look at Santana and she shrugs her shoulders, "Mrs. Lopez es la mamá de Santana. Llámame Abuela." (Mrs. Lopez is Santana's mom. You call me Abuela.)

Santana giggles, "If you guys are ready to eat now, the table is already set."

"Oh, yes please." Mr. Lopez says, already walking towards the dining room.

I walk into the kitchen and bring out the plate of chicken in one hand and the plate of asparagus in another and Santana brings out the bowl of rice. We place everything down in the center and sit next to each other at the table.

Mr. Lopez makes his plate first and then passes everything around clock-wise meaning me and Santana make our plate last.

"¿Dónde está Noah?" (Where's Noah?) her Abuela asks and Santana freezes. I place the bowl of rice down and look at Santana, excited to hear what she's going to say next

"Um," she says looking at me but I quickly look away, "me and Noah actually broke up Friday night."

Mrs. Lopez drops her fork and I try not to laugh, "What happened?"

"He didn't try to pressure you into doing something, did he?" Mr. Lopez says in a tone of voice I've never heard. Santana lets out a deep sigh.

I look around and my eyes fall on her Abuela, who's looking at me very hard. We lock eyes for a few seconds but I look away when I realize how weird it got.

"Brittany sabe algo." (Brittany knows something.) her Abuela says and I freeze. Everyone looks at me and I look at Santana who's eyes widen.

"What happened between them Brittany?" Mrs. Lopez asks and I bite the inside of my cheek

Part of me wants to just tell them everything but it isn't my place so I just shrug my shoulders, "I think Santana should be the one to tell you guys."

"We were just forcing something that wasn't meant to be." she says plain and simple, "There wasn't a fight or anything and we're still friends."

Her parents look at me and I tell them she's telling the truth by nodding my head.